2022 LSU Football -- this is a rebuild!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by northernvatiger, Sep 5, 2022.

1. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Last night's game vs FSU should serve to confirm that 2022 is a rebuild year. Kelly has a monumental task in front of him and it's going to take time. I know we're disappointed and frustrated with last night's result, but we have to realize that O left this team in shambles. Let's not forget the bowl game last January to close out 2021 -- we had only 39 scholarship players on the roster and a WR playing QB! Then all of the transfers. Kelly essentially had to piece a roster together via the transfer portal.

I think a lot of we witnessed last night is fixable. That said, we're looking at a work in progress. I would have preferred a cupcake game as the season opener this year. We were at a disadvantage right off the bat as FSU had theirs a week ago. A cupcake game would have allowed us to work out the kinks and to better prepare us for a national spotlight game. Case in point - the first two redzone sequences where we had to settle for FG's (and one was blocked!). So instead of coming away with 14 points, we came away with only 3. Scoring TD's in the early going most likely would have set a different tone for the game. This is not to say our defense would have been better, or that the special teams would have been mistake-free, but those missed opportunities to punch in TD's surely didn't help matters.

One huge takeaway from last night is the team didn't quit. They could have easily packed it in when the score was 24-10. We showed guts and heart to come back and were only a blocked PAT from sending the game to OT. The comeback in my mind counts for something.

The old adage in football is that a team should improve the most between games 1 and 2. Let's see if that holds true. I think it will. I know the next game is vs Southern, which on paper should be an easy win; however, the crosstown school will be motivated and looking to upset the big boys. We need to come out ready and hungry.

To conclude, we have to be patient. I am confident that Woodward make the right hire (for those fans who are clamoring for Napier, he would have had the same issues as Kelly), and we need to support our team. I've been a fan since 1983 and have experienced a lot of lows along with all of the highs. LSU will be back.

I think we have to temper our expectations for this season for sure. I think 8 wins is realistic.

Sorry for the long post, lol.

GEAUX TIGERS!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  2. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I agree. Things got so out of control toward the end of O's time that you can't expect anyone to come in and change the program around in a few weeks. We're going to have to be patient and allow CBK to implement his plan and then we can judge. I'm excited about the future!

TigerFan90, msully and TBTrumpet like this.
  3. kcal

kcal Founding Member

pretty succinct…

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    TigerFan90, LSUTiga and LSUpride123 like this.
  4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

It’s undeniable the team we had in the bowl was a shell of a team. I thought BK had done a better job filling holes, and we didn’t look untalented last night.

im concerned that most of our success at the end came against the prevent and I have little faith JD can stay in the pocket and read defenses. That’s going to nullify a lot of the talent we have at WR (we’ve seen what a neutered QB does to skilled WRs). Combined with mediocre RBs and we don’t really have an offense.

TigerFan90 likes this.
  5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Yea. I would say the best bright spot is not folding. So that is a plus. The real question is can he keep the wheels on the bus.

northernvatiger and TBTrumpet like this.
  6. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

What pocket?

lsu-i-like likes this.
  7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Thats on Daniel. As soon as he runs, defenders break and the pocket will collapse regardless if its holding. He refused to step up INTO the pocket until late really.

LSUTiga likes this.
  8. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Agree that we were able to pass only against the prevent…Makes one wonder why anyone having success on defense would go to prevent.
    Agree that we have fixable things on special teams. Don’t agree that QB was the issue (well maybe a little)

It was said early in the off-season that OL was an issue. And it is. That coupled with linebacker issues (either defensive play calls or linebackers not having a clue), were the most alarming to me. (Along with special teams of course)

But as always Geaux Tigahs…

lsu-i-like likes this.
  9. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

I wonder if Boutte has quit.

10. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Sure looked like his head wasn't in the game.