2020 LSU Baseball Season

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CajunlostinCali, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

He struggled from jump. Theriot was dealing. Rye Gunter was the lone bright spot. The LSU blog feed is still active for those unable to catch Cox broadcasts. I wish theyd just stay out of the mix.

Cabrera no hits but got a sac and walked twice yet Id rather Mathis leading off as he seems to be someone who will get things going. No one really hit so everyone shares in that loss but I do like doughty at ss. Then Mathis.

The infield defense was my worry and it looks to be an issue. Alex milazzo helps tremendously as he looks mlb ready behind the dish. But can we afford losing a bat with Garza at DH? I say yes. Alex is too good to sit and is hitting as well as anyone already. By sec play he should be even better and he can hold runners. The merry go round against Garza and passed balls is only acceptable if no options but that's no longer the case. Cpm has some decisions to make but he loves toying with the order almost too much.

Our starting pitching should afford us some leeway. It has the look of something special.

I was impressed with Labas esp his change up lw but just the opposite with Marceaux. He's still searching and will lose his spot if it continues.

Also it was good to finally see Storz after 3 long years. Velocity is down and expected but it's step one.

Also seems like 2 post season injuries vs Oregon st in 2017 may have killed 2 Tigers careers who were key to getting us to omaha. Caleb Gilbert after a balls out effort vs osu after walker went down 2 games prior. Both had tj surgery. Caleb never recovered but walker by all accounts seemed to be ok. Love both these kids for sticking it out. It was devastating to watch Gilbert become a shell of his former talent. Let's hope Eric gets his stuff back. He deserves it. Mentally it's got to be a mother fucker. He was nails prior to that. We win the cws if he stays healthy one more game.

LSUpride123 and watson1880 like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I always wonder why fastballs from guys with the size of Storz and Beck top out at 90-91 mph. Seems like with that leverage they could throw in the high 90's.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Storz can get to 93 94. Becks velocity went up last year. He was upper 80s prior.

4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Storz had a real good look on the mound. I thought George looked pretty good last night as well.

We have an awesome pin and pitchers battling for weekend starts is about as good as it gets given the last couple of seasons. I agree on Millazo that his cannon and awareness behind the plate is almost too good to give up. His AB's are improving and I think we all benefit keeping him in the line up. I'll argue tho that the competition has Garza playing better, but he is no Millazo with the mit.

I think Marceaux has to adjust to his frame and he'll be okay, but I like Labas to continue to improve to maybe be even better for a Saturday starter.

Mathis is one of the best dirtbag players I have seen on this team in years. He is my favorite player on the team right now.

5. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

The LSU starting pitchers will ideally go six innings and 90 pitches this weekend as they increase their endurance, Paul Mainieri said.

Paul Mainieri on Maurice Hampton: “Maurice is getting better with not just each passing day, but with each passing at bat and each passing play. In centerfield at the plate, I just think he's getting better and better.”

Will start in centerfield this weekend.

Paul Mainieri sees Jaden Hill as a future Friday night starter at LSU, but he hopes to keep Hill in the bullpen this season because that means the current starters pitched well. Still, LSU will stretch him this weekend. Hoping for three innings, about 45 pitches.

Paul Mainieri: Wes Toups will play LF. Hal Hughes will play short. Alex Milazzo will catch two of three games.

Trying to get more balance and bat handling in the lineup.

watson1880 and kcal like this.
  6. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

So... Hal Hughes is back in the lineup...

[​IMG]

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

[​IMG]

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

We can hit, just not lefties. Its pathetic. Though with all that said, our defense is miserable right now. Like routine shit getting fucked up..

watson1880 and BayouBengal014 like this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

[​IMG]

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Keep me posted boys, I'm raising hell at the elementary bingo night!

Fun fun fun