2019 preseason talk

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TBTrumpet, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There have always been dynasties in sports and people still watched. The Yankees, Patriots, 49ers, Steelers, Celtics, Lakers, Bulls and Warriors. None of those killed baseball, football or basketball. Come on Trumpet. Wouldn't you rather watch the gumps and Clemson again than mow your lawn, watch some stupid movie on Netflix or golf, tennis or God forbid soccer?

The existence of dynasties makes it all the more sweeter when your team is the one to knock a dynasty off it's pedestal.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    GiantDuckFan and COTiger like this.
  2. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

Dynasties come and go, both in politics and sports. I don't have a problem with dynasties, as long as it is organic. Its when the powers that be start doing shady things to the detriment of the sport in order to prolong dynasties that I begin to become concerned. I don't have any evidence that this is happening in the current year. But as I've said before, when one team stays at the top too long, the sport starts getting stale.

As for another Bama/Clemson NC game, I will watch a dumb movie on Netflix, or youtube, or play a video game instead. I've seen that three times in the last four years. I'm good. I do feel the need to watch that rerun again.

Rolan likes this.
  3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Which is it? Twice you've said you're headed to Netflix but you're watching as much football as you can throughout the season and anytime there's a game on so is your TV? Saying "I love college football" and at the same time saying "I'm not watching it because ______" doesn't fit. Do you see the contradiction?

Don't get me wrong here. We're all cut from a different cloth. Personally, I don't watch all of the Bama games live. If there's a better game on at the time I'm likely to watch it live and watch the Bama game via DVR or WatchESPN. Sadly, that's included a few SEC games the last few years.

As a kid I watched the NFL but looking back I'm thinking it was more about the lack of college ball on Saturday's back then. Born in the Dallas area, I was a Dallas fan until Jerry Jones bought the franchise. As a supposition, I'd guess one of the main reason I began to move away from the sport is largely due to what I'll call the "Miami influx." By that I mean seeing what we saw out of the 'Canes back in their day on TV every Sunday. The emphasis on "me" in "team," perhaps?

I've reached a point to where professional sports no longer hold an appeal with the exception of a few: golf and hockey being two. And of course, women's softball. :D (FWIW, women's soccer used to be a favorite as well but it too resembles the "me" in "team" now.

4. TBTrumpet

Apparently twice wasn't enough, so I'll say it a third time. I watch a large quantity of college football throughout the season. However if it's another Bama/Georgia SEC title or Bama/Clemson NC, I will make and exception to my usual behavior and watch someone else instead of those specific games.

If its going to be the same two teams over and over again every year, then I will just skip watching the championship games every year while still watching the parts of college football that I am interested in.

I plan on watching Kansas this year for the first time. I'm sure they'll lose almost every game, but I hope the old Mad Hatter can make them entertaining.

Don Castavez likes this.
  5. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

O line will wear tampons vs the 3 teams with decent defensive fronts .
    Rinse lather repeat

tzanghi likes this.
  6. Don Castavez

I watch all LSU games , the Texas-OU game and Mich v Ohio St. The others I skim or avoid. I wouldn’t watch an Indiana v Minnesota if they were playing in my backyard.

TBTrumpet likes this.
  7. Don Castavez

What’s the over /under this year at KU for going on 4 th and fake fg’s?

8. Don Castavez

I predict GG unis will have excellent camel toe . Beyond that - crap shoot

TBTrumpet likes this.
  9. TBTrumpet

At least once a game. Come on Les, you got nothing to lose!

10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member