2018 Draft

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by shane0911, Dec 3, 2017.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

He doesn't seem to get into the kind of rhythm we're used to seeing. That could be partly age and partly because we don't throw as often with the running game working the way it is. I'm not suggesting the time for working on a successor isn't approaching. I'm saying they have to pick their shot. Drafting a QB in the 1st round and then sitting him any longer than a few games never works out. First round picks are expected to play immediately.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Unless they are drafted by a team with a great QB. Did Jimmy Garoppolo ever have any shot of starting for New England? Case in point: When the Saints drafted Garrett Grayson was there ever any thought that he might one day be the heir apparent to Brees? Even a 3rd round pick was too high for him considering the Saints other, more pressing needs. If somebody they like is available in the 5th to 7th rounds take a flyer on him. Somebody like that could be the next Tom Brady (6th round), or not.

Even if Mayfield is still on the board when the Saints pick, I would rather see them address one of their big defensive needs. Who knows about the health of Okafor or Breaux? Or even Lattimore who turned out to be great but had a history of injury even before he became a Saint. How many games can we count on him playing next season?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I know the Saints don't draft LSU players but consider this. (Not that Mickey Loomis reads Tigerfan posts) Dante Jackson will surely be spending his Saturdays next year getting ready for games on Sunday. I don't know what Mel Kiper or NFL scouts think of him but he had a breakout season and has developed into a primeaux lock down corner. He is also versatile enough to play the nickel and lock that down too. Whatever they think they could change their tunes when he will hit a very long home run at the combine. Even if Delvin Breaux is able to start the season we can't expect him to stay healthy. Too many injuries for too long in his college and pro career. I'm about 100% sure the Saints wouldn't take Jackson in the first round and I really don't think he will last through the round but if he is on the big board in the second grab him.

4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I wanna see what #7 Hill can do. I love that guy now.

5. mctiger

After the game, I went and looked up his highlight reel on YouTube. In college he was Cam Newton without the big arm. Not an NFL-type QB. He was a great story yesterday, though, wasn't he?

stevescookin likes this.
  6. mctiger

@Bengal B I'm afraid you're right about Breaux, and Alex Anzalone could end up being the same type of concern. But I think the injury issue with Lattimore is overblown. He didn't miss any time his senior year, and the missed time the last 2 weeks was more cautionary than anything. I believe he would have played yesterday if a. the Panthers had a better receiver corps, and b. the next game - against a guy we really need ML to stop - were on Sunday instead of Thursday.

didit likes this.
  7. mctiger

And now the Pats have traded Jimmy G, haven't they? I don't remember what they got for him, but he amounts to a wasted number one pick. We've seen far too much of that from the Saints in the last 7 years, including Grayson.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Garroppolo served his purpose when Brady was suspended and I suspect that Belichick extorted some choicy package of draft picks fron SF.