2016 QB Shea Patterson

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by LSUDad, Jul 28, 2014.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Word is out, he has decommitted from his verbal to Zona, chips starting to fall.

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Not shocking considering his brother was hired away from Arizona to LSU. There is zero chance he ends up anywhere else. I know this shit happens but I don't like it.

He's a major talent IMO. Good get for Les.

LSUDad likes this.
  3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Got word his brother has been after Cam and Les, his brother likes what Cam does with his offense. This one works both ways. Both sides like what a plus it is for all. Many times a want-to-be coach, has to go off and start out.

A good friend of mine started his coaching over 25 years ago as a GA in Arizona. But jumped at the chance to move back to the South.

Much of the coaching profession is who you know and who you have worked with, it pads your resume.

Why wouldn't a young coach want to work with Les and Cam? Too much good can come from this, a coach just starting out, he has to be on cloud 9.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    ParadiseiNC likes this.
  4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

So you're OK with buying houses for players and agents/handlers having unlimited access to players, but this gives you heartburn?

Contained Chaos and shane0911 like this.
  5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I'll dip a little more into this, looking at the first staff that Les had at LSU. 3 are Head Coaches right now, one just won the NC (Neb, Fla St and S. Miss), one is the DL coach with the Jets, one is the OC at Missouri, one a DC and one is back at LSU (Peveto). Oh, when Grimes was hired from Va Tech, the first OL coach here at LSU with Les, well, Stacey Searels, replaced Grimes at Va Tech. Larry Porter was the HC at Memphis for a time. Like I said, sometimes you have to move to pad that resume.

I remember in 2001, calling a coach I know an asking what he was doing. His reply, "Going over my resume, like everyone else!" That was the year George O'Leary was hired by Notre Dame and fired after 5 days on the job. Like my friend said, he didn't want to get a dream job only to have something on his resume mess it up. Many coaches were waiting on the fax machine, like it was signing day. They wanted dates and paperwork on every job they had. Dotting the "I's" and crossing the "T's."

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Really? Heartburn? I said I didn't like it, not that it was sending me to the hospital in an emotionally charged physically debilitating tailspin.

You might want to get the story correct at this point. Reggie's parents took money from an agent to buy a home some 200 miles away from USC and Reggie knew about it. I despise all of them at this point for their cavalier and obvious rule-breaking behavior that has cost USC far more than what I believe is deserved. The truth is that the NCAA pinned it's case on the assertion that USC "should have known" and based their entire case on a 2 minute phone call between the agent and assistant coach Todd McNair. Just this June, a superior court judge who HAS SEEN sealed documents, ruled that, "The NCAA was ''malicious'' in its investigation of a former Southern California assistant football coach who was linked in a report to a scandal surrounding Heisman Trophy-winning tailback Reggie Bush, a judge said Wednesday....report on ethical breaches by Todd McNair was flawed,....after reviewing sealed documents in the McNair inquiry, which was tied to a gift scandal involving Heisman Trophy-winner Reggie Bush, he was convinced that the actions of NCAA investigators were ''over the top....His 10-page ruling states emails between an investigative committee member, an NCAA worker and a person who works in the agency's appeals division ''tend to show ill will or hatred'' toward McNair."

And gee, guess what, the NCAA wants the documents to remain sealed. What a facking joke. And who headed up the COI for the USC investigation? Paul Dee, Miami's AD during the time when "a booster supplied "thousands" of impermissible benefits to "at least" 72 Miami athletes that occurred between 2002 an 2010. Seriously? How would you feel to have had Mal Moore head up a COI investigating LSU? The NCAA is a joke, an irretrievably broken joke and member institutions should demand more accountability. We took one for the team and are still taking it.

So....no I'm not okay with what the Bush's did, with what the NCAA did, or with the idea of hiring a coach simply to land a recruit.

LSUDad likes this.
  7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I don't disagree that coaching is a carousel and who you know pays off (Lane Kiffin would be jobless otherwise). In this case, you have a kid (committed as a freshmen and perhaps that's a problem too) who committed to Arizona where his brother worked for Rich Rodriguez and recruited 3 Louisiana players. The brother quits Arizona, goes to work for Les, and brother decommits.

That said, he's gone from GA to coaching intern and clearly his career just got a big boost. I have no problem with that and like you say, it is likely a dream job for him. I just don't like the message it sends and it makes recruiting more about the "haves" and "have nots" and that is what the NCAA has been saying they want to avoid.

If Shea continues to progress, he will be an elite QB for a long time. I really do believe he ends up at LSU so, congrats!

LSUDad likes this.
  8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

"In major college football, NCAA rules allow nine assistant coaches who can give on-field instruction and recruit. There is no limit on the number of non-coaching staff members football programs can have, but when it comes to on-field activity, they can only chart statistics."

No limit to the number of non-coaching staff members, maybe the NCAA should set a limit?

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Don't worry about it sugar bean. Les will run him off for the next "him". It's what we do with kids of "non color" from out west. ;)

Kal-El012, HalloweenRun and GregLSU like this.
  10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Love your open mindness Shane!

shane0911 and TigerTap like this.