2016 QB Dwayne Haskins Jr.

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by LaSalleAve, Jan 3, 2016.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Urban's job isn't to develop NFL quarterbacks. But he had one in the playoffs,a guy who was considered a bust at first but I bet about 20 NFL teams would take him in a heartbeat now. Alex Smith.

TwistedTiger likes this.
  2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I know that's not his job but if i was a recruit, that's what I would look at. And I was very careful to note "in the last ten years" when discussing urban's quarterback development.

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I think we had some bad luck but also, I don't think anyone thinks of Les or Cam that can develop a qb for the nfl either. my position is that it isnt quite as obvious which school is best if you're going off of which coach, cam/les or urban, will put you in the nfl, which is what i think recruits look at.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Here's the rub, Urban can get the most out of the quarterback position because he runs an offense that is very QB friendly. it's all about spreading the field and getting rid of the ball fast. The thinking is really done by the staff. In LSU's offense you have to line up under center, take 3, 5, and 7 step drops. That already is way more asked of than Urban's qb's. The offense we run is designed for pocket quarterbacks, which is why they do better than the dual threat guys. We take guys who only have ever played in the pistol and gun, and stick em under center, ask them to run an offense that they never have. Urban is just taking what these kids ran in HS and expanding on it.

ParadiseiNC and mobius481 like this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Alex Smith was and still is a game manager. Of the 4 QB's left in the playoffs 3 were the #1 overall pick and 2 were Heisman winners and Peyton should be. Brady is a 6th round pick but the best of all of them.

Why can't Les find even one and develop him into a game manager?

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

one of the mysteries of mankind my friend.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

It's more obvious than the fact that Hillary is a liberal! One guy knows what a QB is, what an offense is and how to both develop and use a QB. The other guy thinks that passing is something you do in a car on the interstate.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Because Miles has no clue what an offense looks like. His entire knowledge of offense is based on his college career, block for the RB, line up and do it again.

9. rockwallfan

rockwallfan Founding Member

basically, CUM recruits quarterbacks that can be high achievers in the offense he runs. CLM and CCC recruits quarterbacks with totally opposite skill sets from the (flintstone) offense they run and try to force them to adjust. a sure recipe for failure.

also, why not recruit players who are more than just athletically gifted? i'm talking about someone with good athletic skills (not great) who has smarts (GPA), is well grounded and has shown to be a hard worker and willing to learn. more than any other position, i think recruiting a quarterback requires looking at more than just his high school statistics. i'd wager not many 5* rivals high school quarterbacks are tops in all of those categories, but when i think of brees, brady, rodgers, and the others that are consistently at the top of their games, they have all of those traits. as far as i know, none were 5* high schoolers.

ParadiseiNC and TwistedTiger like this.
  10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Rivals still has its rankings back to 2002 on the site. Among dual-threats, Vince Young and Tim Tebow were both tops in their classes, and neither amounted to much in the league. Other current NFL QBs who were ranked as dual threats: Tyrod Taylor - 5 stars, Cam Newton - 5, Ryan Tannehill - 3, E.J. Manuel - 4, Saints project Garrett Grayson - 3, Teddy Bridgewater, 4, Johnny Manziel - 3, Jameis Winston - 5
    Among Pro Style - Matt Ryan - 3, Joe Flacco 3 (ranked 59th in class), Brian Hoyer - 3, Mark Sanchez - 5, Matt Stafford - 5, Sam Bradford - 3, Andy Dalton - 3, Collin Kaepernick - 3, Ryan Mallett - 5, Nick Foles - 3, Blaine Gabbert - 5, Andrew Luck - 4, Zack Mett - 4, Brock Osweiler - 3, Derek Carr - 3