2013 LSU Spring Football Practice

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger_fan, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

started today.

notes from Les Miles press conference yesterday to kick off the Spring:

"there is a lot to accomplish. We are by no means in position to predict a grand season. This is the style of team that if they work hard and do the things they are capable of doing, they will like other teams that have gone through here, compete for a title. That is always the mark here, and will certainly always be."

When "get to the backend of spring, and we'll see how we are playing...I'd like to judge us at that point. "

"Our guys must get better."

DEFENSIVE LINE

these are the "guys that you look forward to seeing in our front four":
    DE Danielle Hunter -- "great athletic ability," "will play a lot"
    DT Anthony Johnson -- "will be a leader inside"
    DT Ego Ferguson -- "will be a leader inside as well"
    DE Jermauria Rasco -- "I see him as a dominant player in spurts and bursts. I think he will eventually be as dominant as Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo."

On people who may surprise..."(DT) Christian LaCouture gets to come in and play a lot of two-deep football in the spring. He gets to advance his football very quickly. I think (DT) Quentin Thomas and (DT) Mickey Johnson, who has gone from about 330 to about 310. He is really playing a lot better, stronger and quicker than he was. DE Jordan Allen is a guy who really will have an opportunity in the spring and needs to make his case for his ability to play."

(he later mentioned that DE Justin Maclin "is one of the guys that will miss spring due to injury")

LINEBACKER CORE

LB Lamin Barrow "You know you have Barrow that can play well. He's done that at a number of spots. He continues to improve at mike backer (MLB). It is probably his," but if we like "DJ Welter or somebody else inside, then we'll move Barrow outside. Initially, we'll start with Barrow."
    LB Tahj Jones -- "a very athletic guy"
    "We have a lot of linebackers," the LB core "one of the stronger groups we've had" in LSU history. "We are going to be able to fit guys like Kwon Alexander, Tahj Jones, Lamar Louis and Deion Jones on the outside."

SECONDARY

S "Craig Loston and Corey Thompson, if not Ronald Martin, are going to give us a tremendous inside and quality safety group"

CB "Jalen Collin, Dwayne Thomas and Jalen Mills, we think those guys will develop and have the type of spring that will allow them to compete at a high level"

OFFENSE COORDINATOR

Cam Cameron "has done a great job already"

OFFENSIVE LINE

Top four guys on the OL:

La'El Collins -- "We will try La'El Collins out at the left tackle. ... We're going to look at a lot of guys there. It is not just him. He is going to get the first look. I think he is ready to do that. I think that he is lighter than he has been and is a very strong and capable guy. He is a guy that can sit in there and have real good success. We are going to look at (Jerald) Hawkins and maybe even some other guys. To start, we are looking at La'El."

Josh Williford -- "We will move Josh Williford around and give him some center work"

"Trai Turner and Vadal Alexander will line up where you saw them in the end of last fall"

Next men in line:

"Jerald Hawkins and Ethan Pocic, one of the newcomers, Elliot Porter and Fehoko Fanaika rounding out that two deep."

on Fehoko Fanaika -- "He is a big, strong come off the football guy. He will need to get some technique work. ... We'll have to retrain him some. He is very quick for 370 pounds. We would like to get him down to the 330-350 range. I think he is a right side player. You could look at Williford moving to the left side."

TIGHT ENDS

"Dillon Gordon and Logan Stokes, a newcomer, we think you will enjoy him, and Travis Dickson, who knows what to do and will give us a receiving threat."

RECEIVERS

"the guys that you might recall, Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry and Kadron Boone, but John Diarse and Avery Peterson might get some great looks and have an opportunity to get ahead."

RUNNING BACKS

"We'll need all four of them, I guarantee it...Jeremy Hill, Kenny Hilliard, Alfred Blue and now Terrence Magee back in that spot"

On Blue: "I think he will be ready to go. That is some very good news for us...has been through all of the coaching workouts, which is a rigorous workout. Speed, agility and burst style workouts. He really fared well. I think he is way ahead in his own personal time in terms of being ready to play."

On Hilliard: "He's had a great offseason. ... He is still by far and away a very talented back...I think that Kenny Hilliard will be a dominant player."

"Jeremy Hill came off of his freshman year and really achieved a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes an elite back"

"Terrence Magee is a natural running back. His return there will definitely help us."

QUARTERBACKS

"At quarterback, we're starting with Zach Mettenberger and have Stephen Rivers behind. We will look at these two newcomers, Anthony Jennings and Hayden Rettig, both have skill and ability. There will be plenty of snaps for the development of that team. ... The priority is Mettenberger, but we are going to have a lot of reps and we are going to have to develop that position." Rob Bolden "had his knee operated on and will not be ready for spring ball. That is one of the guys that will miss spring due to injury."

On Mett: "He needs to understand that some of his throws need to be better."

FULLBACKS

"we bring back J.C. Copeland and Connor Neighbors. That gives us depth there"

RETURNERS

"Odell Beckham, Landry and Magee and really a number of guys including some of those young guys that have just joined the team. We'll see how that looks."

TEAM CAPTAINS

On team leaders...
    "We have a pretty long list. We voted for unity council yesterday and put them up. It is a very quality group. Lamin Barrow and Anthony Johnson will give you a view of defensive guys. Josh Williford and Zach Mettenberger among other guys on the offensive side."

"Any time that you have a team as young as we have, for quite some time we have expected some young guys to play a prominent role, we are also counting on young guys to lead.

[​IMG]

red55 and gyver like this.
  2. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

strength and conditioning coach Tommy Moffitt said this is one of the hardest working group of early guys he has seen. He said their work ethic in the weightroom has been tremendous. It is kind of hard to believe the majority of this group was playing high school football a couple of months back and now they are suiting up as Tigers. ... hearing this should make fans excited about this new group of Tigers.

LINK

gyver likes this.
  3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Work guys...............

Cajun Sensation and Tiger_fan like this.
  4. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Good video!

5. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

That's awesome

6. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

At least two players are fired up:

Anthony Jennings
    @JENNINGSWINNING
    14h
    Finished with the first day of spring
    practice. Good starting point.

Anthony Jennings
    @JENNINGSWINNING
    14h
    LSU is going to be great this year.

Craig Poppa Loston
    @Mr_Poppa_6
    14h
    2013 TIGERS gone be something
    serious MARK MY WORDS

Craig Poppa Loston
    @Mr_Poppa_6
    10h
    Night world

Craig Poppa Loston
    @Mr_Poppa_6
    8h
    Why can't I sleep

7. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

"We'll be a no huddle team with a pound the ball (attitude) and a vertical passing game...a lot like the Ravens were."
    Mett.

Although I am excited about ANY change to our offense because quite frankly it cannot be much worse.
    However my concern with this is IF we have another Peach Bowl performance where we go 3 and out more than we get 1st downs.
    It will mean our D will get gassed even quicker.
    We shall see.

LSUDad likes this.
  8. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

Great news. These guys will be in tip top shape in no time at all with the instruction of the best strength and conditioning coach in college football.

9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Pace yourself..........

Now a little faster.........

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/5440079-123/cam-cameron-wants-quicker-pace

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

IMO, this should be a good fit for us.

I believe it is better to run a quick pace run game as apposed to lining up for 5 minutes before we run it up the gut!!! :)