2009 Saints Thread

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Sweet! Looks like Brett hooked us up with a Saints forum!

I guess I'll do the honors.

Anyone have any fearless predictions for the upcoming season?

Any thoughts on the Saints and the salary cap issues that they are sure to have this year?

Let's get this thing kicked off and discuss the New Orleans Saints!

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Great to see a Saints forum on the world's best website!

I think next year is a playoff year! I have faith in Loomis to get the cap issues worked out and to get Vilma re-signed (job 1). Williams will improve the defense even if we don't improve the personnel, though I think we will. Coach SP has to grow up a little more and not be so wreckless and impetuous in his playcalling.

3. StadiumSalute

StadiumSalute It's Gameday!

It's (very) early, but I'm cautiously optimistic about this coming season.

As long as the defense improves (and I think it will), I think we should see a better team than last year. Please draft some defensive players this year.

If the offense maintains the level it plays at, we should be alright for the most part, but I would like to see a more balanced offense. We need Deuce and Thomas to anchor the running game, and then put Reggie in for a change of pace.

Payton needs to not challenge every time he thinks the refs called it wrong. Show some restraint and challenge things that matter.

I think we could see the black and gold in the playoffs this year. I won't say that they won't go to the Super Bowl, but right now I think it's a long shot.

4. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

I predicted super bowl this past year. too many injuries to make it, so i'm calling for a super bowl run this year. depending on draft picks and free agent signings, we should make it.
    hopefully deuce can resign and retire a saint.
    Keep Vilma and draft Cushing from usc. :)
    that would be a great start.
    oh and CUT DAVID!

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The hiring of Williams improves the defense without even adding a single player.

Now to get those holes filled in the secondary (free safety and CB) and land an impact OLB. The last thing is a bruising RB to make those short yardage plays and wear down defenses in the 4th quarter.

IF the Saints do that in the offseason (draft or free agency), then I am predicting Super Bowl. The NFC has no dominate team.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Got to disagree. In '07 he was clearly lost in a system that went contrary to the way he'd played his whole career. This year he looked more comfortable, more instinctive and was able to make some plays. He also showed a willingness to hit someone on special teams. He still makes some mistakes, and his size hurts him at times. But he's not the train wreck he was in his first season, and while I wouldn't want to see him starting for any length of time, I think there's a place for him in nickel and dime packages, and on special teams. Definite candidate for a contract re-structure, since he got starter money when we brought him in.

7. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

You don't think there's someone out there that can do exactly what David did last year?

8. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I agree with this post. Gregg Williams is a very solid hire and if he can make us semi-competent on defense, that will make us one of the best teams in the NFC.

9. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Better question is can the Saints afford that guy?

10. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

The first thing they need to do is re-sign Vilma.