2009 QB Play

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, Jan 10, 2009.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

What kind of performance do you expect for LSU's QBs next year?

Who will start? Who else will get snaps?

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Depends on how our defense does.

If Jefferson plays the whole year I can see a 19/8-ish type of performance.

3. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

I believe LM will give JL another chance but he will behind JJ. I also think that we will see JJ and RS on the field at the same time. They will be in a formation that will allow either to be used as QB or RB somewhat like the wild hog but better suited to their abilities

4. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Jefferson will get the start. How much time he sees depends on how well he plays. If he plays like he did in the Peach, he could be our man for the next couple of years. But it is hard to tell with just one game under his belt. Anyone can play well for one game; the key is consistency.

5. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

JJ I think will stay #1 and have a very productive year with JL backing him up.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Personally, I think JJ's performance at the end of the year is being overblown. He kept his cool & showed some leadership, but his play was not great - it just wasn't terrible.

I expect the QB competition to remain "open" until the very first game because Miles doesn't like naming a starting QB before the season, but I don't think there will be any doubt on the team that JJ will be the starter come the first game.

We will have 5 scholarship QBs fighting for snaps this Spring & Summer. JJ will presumably get the majority of those, which should really help his development. The question is how the snaps are divided among the rest of the guys, giving them the best chance to improve. If Lee splits the first team snaps with JJ close to 50%, he could improve a lot.

I also expect Shepard to get about 10% of the snaps at QB, along with a few other special plays for him lined up at wide-out etc.

7. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Jefferson will be the opening day starter. He proved in the Peach Bowl he is the best QB we have. He can only get better which is scary for the rest of the SEC.

I think Hatch will be the back-up. But i only see him in the game if JJ gets hurt. Miles doesn't need Hatch for option plays.

I've said all along that Shepard will be our Percy Harvin. He's too talented to not be on the field in some capacity. I think he will take a few snaps as well. Crowton is creamin in his pants as we speak.

As far as Jarrett Lee is concerned, I don't see him playing another down for the Tigers unless some major injuries occur. I think he should transfer, it's obvious the SEC is way over his head.

8. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: JJ is definitely the front runner and will probably stay in front going in to Fall and the start of the season. I don't see anyone else knocking him out of the top spot before the season unless someone really gets hot. It won't be Hatch unless he drastically improves his passing. Lee could if he doesn't transfer, but I really don't see it even if he stays because the staff may have even less confidence in him than he does in himself right now. Garret probably redshirts. Shep could do it if he really learns the playbook and improves his passing, but it wouldn't happen until possibly mid-season. Right now I see JJ as the man and a toss-up/pick-em behind him. Hatch probably the second man in to start the season. Just sayin'. :LSU231:

9. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

Based on his Bowl performance, I expect Jefferson to be our starter going into 2009. I think he'll get better in the Spring, and he'll improve a tad more during fall camp.

I really think he's going to be a good one.

I expect Sheppard to get some snaps, in a Wild-Tiger formation or something, and he may play late in games that we win big.

I don't expect Hatch or Lee to see the field unless Jefferson goes down with an injury.

I figure Garrett will Redshirt.

:crystal::geaux::crystal::geaux::crystal:

10. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Obviously depends on the spring. But, my gut tells me that JJ won't stumble enough for JL to retake the job. I think Hatch is basically done. And I think Garrett redshirts and Shep doesn't.

There's an opportunity to do what they did with Hatch and Lee this year - give them series. But I really don't think they'll do it. I think JJ has seen enough and shown enough - and Lee is a veteran of sorts now as well. So they're going to pick a starter and go with them until it's clear they need to make a change.

So - JJ starts, Lee #2, Hatch #3. Shep is going to start out not playing a ton (feature packages) then slowly get more and more snaps until by mid season he's doing the Tebow thang from 2006.

Performance? Well, that's the real question. Can JJ stay in the pocket long enough to get his average up to 200-240 yards per game? He showed some promise late against GT, stepping up into the pocket.

I'm confident.

I also would not be completely surprised if JJ starts the season as #2. Jarrett Lee has the potential to turn it around.