2009 NASCAR Season

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by CajunlostinCali, Jan 23, 2009.

1. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Where was the crowd for the Shootout? The place looked vacant. :(

2. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

It was!!! But they didn't discount the tickets even after the poor sales. So these days few are going to pay $50 for a ticket to a prerace. The start/finish line was packed and it looked like turn one had a decent crowd, but there wasn't a person on the back strech (wasn't even open) and we always sit in the fourth turn which was dead! I don't get it though because typically the most action is in the fourth turn. That was proven during the ARCA race where all hell broke lose four times at least right in front of us. The big boys wrecks were more spread out this year though.

3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Truex Jr. and Mark Martin take the front row. Qualifying for this race means about nothing and since the top 35 rule, the duels have been pretty flat. This years duels will have some twist that makes me think they will be pretty fun to watch.

Smoke and Newman both in the top ten showing muscle right out the gate. Some other interesting names in the top 15 are Bill Elliot 5th, Aric Almirola 7th, Kvapil got that Yates HP up in 8th, Bobby Labonte 11th and Regan Smith 14th. Fun to watch as most will need to race their way in.

Kind of hard to gauge the bottom dwellers as most of them qualified in race trim so the incentive is low for a good lap today.

I think the duels will be a bit more exciting on Thursday.

4. CajunlostinCali

Duel lineups are out. Some interesting dance partners bunched up respectfully however, I wanted to see Smoke and Newman in the same race and they are not.

What is there is Mark Martin and Jr. down in 6th for the second race. Now as team mates do they lock up for the front? Dunno cause Martin already has the pole so he is just out there for the laps, clean laps. Newman and Jr. seem to be the logical draft partners, Newman out there with a Hendrick engine. Kvapil has inbreed team member Bobby Labonte lined up in the row behind him, watch for them. Vickers in 18th with some solo Yota's up near the front. Vickers looked wicked fast in the shootout. Very hot B-tier fantasy pick this year.

Rounding out race two are the complete unknowns. Almindinger raced well in the shootout showing he can avoid bad places while running strong. Boris Said, gotta love the dude, starts 11th and I would love nothing more. Dude is way cool. Jeremy Mayfield driving his very own car so I hope he makes it. Dude made his own bed and now he is humbled, for that he is loaded in talent and I hope he gets the speed necessary to make races. I am convinced David Stremme is an accident waiting to happen. He will finish his duel having scraped the wall at least 3 times. Just sayin...
    Wild man Juan Pablo, Chick beater Carl Edwards, Mamma's boy Denny Hamlin, Clint (got a pistol) Boyer, Jeff (new look) Burton and many others top my WTF list.

Geoff Bodine, superdude, runnin a solo effort in a Yota. He was the COT test dummy and did a phenom job to help get this car field tested for the track. Hope he does well.

Race 1 later-

5. CajunlostinCali

Duel 1

This race is Ford heavy mid pack on. Truex Jr. is up front with JJ and Gordon right behind him. I expect those two to go straight to the front. Smoke is not far off starting 6th and I would not be shocked to see him tag up with Awesome Bill starting 2nd in the Wood Brothers effort. Paul Menard is in front of everyone. I fully expect him to get the wiggles and mess everyone up. The cat in the hat has 4 rides lined up behind Biffle so I expect them to be patient and make a run late in the race.

Joey Logano is gonna try again and so I am gonna go out on a limb and say he will fall back and be glad to finish. He will rub the Goodyear off the right sides but he will finish. :nope: Surprises in this race will be David Regan, Aric Almirola, Mc Murray, and Robby Gordon with his first run in a Yota.

Long shots include Marcus Ambrose and Brad Keselowski. A guest appearance by Texas Terry Labonte in a one off ride, but I really hope he makes it. Terry is one of my original heroes and so I wish him well. Michael Waltrip is trying to save his drivers legacy as a field filler so I would not be shocked to see him finish in a top 5. If you are a fan, enjoy it while it last. I predict NOW he will retire at the end of this season.

A few bottom dwellers but nothing fancy. The first of two practices are under way for today so I will try to pick who is going home tomorrow!

6. CajunlostinCali

My picks for who is going home tomorrow:

Norm Benning
    Kirk Shelmerdine
    Kelly Bires
    Carl Long
    Derrike Cope
    Terry Labonte :(
    Brad Keselowski
    Mike Skinner
    Boris Said :(
    Bill Elliott
    John Andretti
    Scott Riggs

Bubble Transfers, Why? These drivers (with decent parctice times) are outside the top 35 and MUST race their way in. Should there be a crash involving the following names...:(

A.J. Allmendinger
    Regan Smith
    Tony Stewart :eek: YES :eek: Smoke COULD be in a crash early and miss the Great American Race

Sidebar- Ryan Newman looked like DOO DOO today. He is locked into the race. Just sayin...

7. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

Smoke has past champion provisionals that he could use. I don't see him missing any races this year.

8. CajunlostinCali

I thought about that. What I meant was if he crashed early, Labonte finishing after his crash would get the past champions. A very slighted scenario but it works for lame drama.

9. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

Is it just me or does it look like Joey Logano has his hands full with that car? Daytona is so bumpy and these cars handle horribly, he must have change his underoos after every practice session. Definately interesting to watch.

1 person likes this.
  10. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

FYI. Last two years DirectTV has shown the Daytona 500 on Hotpass for free. It's a very nice way to watch the race. While I'll be working, some of you may enjoy watching it that way.