~2008 Lady Tiger BB Recruiting~

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Lprimo, Jul 2, 2007.

1. NoDakSt

NoDakSt Founding Member

I think priorities are 1) a top ten player regardless of position, 2) another point guard, 3) a center, 4) a center 5) - 15) fill in the rest.

If Sykes is interested and the feeling is mutual, get her here. The same with Barrett and any other top 10 player. You can craft a lot around a blue chipper. The fit has got to be right though. LSu is going to have some expereinced players so someone new coming in needs to not think they are going to "be all that".

Eason is the only point guard. She's coming off an injury and is a bit of an unknown. This position needs back up in 2008. I wouldn't be surprised to see a juco kid brought to help with this position.

A true center(s) would be another priority. Phillips is more of a 3-4 type player. She can defend in the paint but I think LSU is not going to want her going up against the top post players from other teams. Some some big bodies will need to be brought in. I would expect to see a couple of juco kids brought in for this as well. Also, there are some bid bodies in the class of 2008 that are looking at LSU but this position often takes time to learn so the juco route will provide somewhat experienced bodies anyway.

LSU is in good shape in that they have Phillips and Hghtower who are both extremely versatile. Phillips can hit the three, put the ball on the floor and I expect her to become more comfortable inside. Hightower has to develope consistency on her outside shot but she can hit the pull-up and she can score going to the hoop. More importantly, they have both displayed that they can default to more experienced players and play within a team concept. That' s important because when they become the go-to players, they are going to be thinking about how they can get their teammates involved.

2. swampmamma

swampmamma Founding Member

Hey NoDak,

How interested in LSU is Barrett? Have you seen her play? I hadn't realized there was another five star so close to Baton Rouge. Wow, that would be awesome to get her and/or Sykes. If we can get a strong 2008 class it will make the Tyra White blow not quite as hard?

Go Lady Tigers!!

3. NoDakSt

NoDakSt Founding Member

I haven't observed Barrett but she made a big splash on the scene this summer. From the sounds of it, her game may be somewhat similar to former LSU player Keke Tardy or maybe current player Ashley Thomas. She is athletic enough and has good enough footwork to score inside/defend inside. May need to add more strength. WHat probably sets her apart from other recruits who are taller, faster is that she plays with considerable smarts.

Plays for Tennessee Flight Silver.

4. swampmamma

Hey NoDak.

I live about two hours from KNoxville and am thinking of going over this weekend for the AAU Junior Olympics. It looks like about 20 teams playing. If you're in the know about players to watch, I would love a heads up.

http://www.aauresults.org/girlsb/re_nationals.php?lkid=&s=45

Then click on JO and open a PDF on the left side with team names.

Thanks!LSU!LSU!LSU!LSU!LSU!:lsup::lsup::lsup::lsup:LSU!LSU!LSU!LSU!LSU!LSU!

5. NoDakSt

NoDakSt Founding Member

A new prospect for LSU:

6'3" Sr. Chelsey Lee out of Miami

6. swampmamma

Maybe we can work all of our Miami connections with her? I hope Big Syl
    and Flo talk to her when she visits!!!! I'm crossing my fingers!

7. swampmamma

With what we're now facing we should beg players to come to LSU.

8. NoDakSt

NoDakSt Founding Member

9. djslice

djslice Freshman

10. NoDakSt

NoDakSt Founding Member

Summary of WCBB recruiting 2008:

Latia McGee 6'2" F 4 star recruit from Oklahoma: extensive list of schools
    Courtney Jones 6'2" F 4 star recruit from Alabama: LSU listed among 7 other schools
    Taylor Turnbow 6'2" F 4 star recruit from Georgia: LSU, Rutgers, Texas, Duke, Vandy
    Chelsey Lee, 6'1" F 4 star recruit out of Flroida: UCONN, LSU
    Ashley Gayle 6'4" F 4 star recruit from Nevada: Extensive list
    Destini Hughes 5'10" W 5 star recruit from Texas: LSU one of 7 other teams
    Shenise Johnson 5'11" G 5 star recruit from NY: BC, Georgia, 'Cuse, LSU
    Ayana Dunning 6'3 C 5 star recruit out of Ohio: Ohio State, Illinois, Rutgers, USC, LSU
    LaSondra Barrett 6'1" F 5 star recruit from Mississippi: Auburn, MTSU, Mississippi, LSU
    April Sykes 5'11" G #2 ranked player in class of 2008. LSU, Georgia, Mississippi St., Rutgers, Texas, Illinois

Nikki Byrd 6'2" F out of Mississippi. Don't know if Hoopgurlz has had the chance to see her.

Don't be surprised to see a couple of JC kids on the roster as well. Van is probably going to want to break up this huge class descrepancy and not want to bring in 9 true frosh.