2007 is deadliest year for US in Iraq

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by red55, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

bwhahah.. cut and run!

2. batiger

batiger Founding Member

It's not that they are "better Americans", is just that they don't have their views clouded by the overly bias media that know what is going on because they were/are there. They see what is going on with their own eyes; they talk the people streets that say to them "Thank you for doing this".

Just because a person severs in our military doesn't make them better, they just have a perspective free from the bias of the media.

Let me ask you, when you go to the doctor, do you want to see the one who learned from watching it on TV, or do you want the guy who has done it before?

3. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

So now your telling me that each soldier has the same view and that they aren't being fed news from their administration that is complete lies based on false information. There are always 2 sides to every story. Not to mention these guys/gals are in the position where they are looking for justification of the killing of people.

And the doctor scenario is false. What if the Doctor that has done it before did it wrong each time. You want him?

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think it does. All one's experiences make him better and military service is an important one.

Well, . . . No. Servicemen are never immune from the media. Media Bias itself is a misnomer. It's really just diversity, which is a good thing in media. The "bias" goes in all directions and the alternative information sources are so widespread that it is easy to get a broad perspective.

Hollywood films are liberal, talk radio is conservative, newspapers are all over the board, TV is all over the board, political books are conservative, magazines are largely moderate. Soldiers are plugged in and online and exposed to all of it.

5. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Red I have to disagree. Our military service is volunteer (a job) that has inherent risks and rewards that are known prior to joining.

That in itself precludes it from making a person more "American" than another.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You misunderstand. I never said military service makes one more "American", I said it makes one a better person. That is not to say that he would be better than some other person, just a better person himself for the experience rather than without it.

7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

There is a lot to be said for military service. I think soldiers learn to appreciate what the US has to offer more than many of their civilian counterparts. Service for your country alone doesn't make you a better person, of course, but it does provide a point of view that you probably otherwise wouldn't fully get.

8. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Agreed