2007 Expectations for LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lasportsmen, Nov 25, 2007.

1. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I called us 11-1 in the regular season, with a slight chance to go 12-0, and a chance we could go 10-2. The teams I was worried about were Fla., Auburn, and Arkansas, with Kentucky representing a "trap" game between Fla. and Auburn, going on the road against one of the better QB's we'd face. We had question marks at QB, wide receiver, running back and part of the o-line, with a new OC, wide receiver and o-line coach.

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I don't know why anyone would be shocked about expectations for this year.
    Offense was somewhat a question mark and defense was solid coming into the season.
    I notice you use the terms lucky and unlucky, well there is no doubt this team was good and lucky or it would've been 7-5.

Matter of fact I don't think I've ever seen a football team overcome so many mistakes ever, including red zone defense, this is meant to be a compliment

Eight teams? Wow
    We don't usually lose to Kentucky, R-kansas or USCE so thats why most disagree with you!
    Looking back at the R-kansas game they killed us last year also, we were just lucky enough to win last year, good and lucky that is.:) :geaux:

3. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Win the SEC, like expected the last 2. If Miles can't get it done this year, good riddance. He's had 3 amazing teams to do it with.

4. mauitiger

mauitiger Founding Member

I seriously was expecting a NC appearance.

I kinda thought we might lose one game along the way which I figured would wake up the team and they would continue on after that loss to the NC.

I guess I saw something of a repeat of 2003.

I assumed the loss would be to either Florida or Auburn.

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Since you mentioned 2003, its funny how people are making excuses of how tired the 2007 version of the tigers are when the 2003 team played a pretty tough schedule itself and never got wore down like this years team.
    I understand our injuries wasn't as bad then either.

6. roygu

roygu Founding Member

We have six seniors that have been invited to the Senior Bowl. That is pretty impressive. I expected a better performance from the Tigers.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

What year are you in? 2000, 2001?

Geez, we were preseasoned rank #2. That meant that the voters thought Ohio State and LSU were going to play for the national title this season.

We had all of our tough games at home. No one could foresee Kentucky starting off as hot as they were. Bama was the other X factor as far as road games only because of Saban.

I thought we would lose 1, only because it is the SEC afterall. Which makes what Auburn did in 04 that much more remarkable (and they should be crowned national champions to this day).

I felt like Vtech was too early of a tough game and could give our offense some trouble and we would possibly be upset (plus the emotion of the tragedy maybe spurring them on). The other possible team to lose to was Florida, only because of superman Tebow. He didn't dissappoint, that's for sure.

So I expected at a minimum a shot at the national championship (and obviously winning an SEC championship).

If you had lower expections that what I described, I just can't understand that one bit.

All those years Spurrier won all them SEC championships, you think he considered their season a success without a national championship? No way in hell.

That's where I want us to be. And I'll be damned if we aren't knocking on the door.

1 person likes this.
  8. mauitiger

mauitiger Founding Member

Hard to get it if you don't expect it:thumb:

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

This defense underperformed for the entire last half of the year. I put the blame squarely on Pelini's shoulders. He never made the adjustments necessary to correct the problems. He'll go to his grave saying McCray was our best bet at nickel back. I hope Nebraska gives up 30 ppg next season. I, for one, don't wish him well.