14 Things You Didn't Know About Krispy Kreme

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Nov 11, 2014.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I don't think I'd want Chinese gumbo, but all of the local donut shops are Asian owned in Plano. The part of Plano where I live is around 50% Asian.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i dated this girl from seattle recently who loved dunkin donuts coffee. i dont get what the big deal is but apparently some yankees love it like we like community. at least it wasnt starbucks which seemed like the obvious favorite.

im not a sweet tooth guy but i will not pass up a beignet. i also like skittles. now if that asian place is happy endings, im thinking of going and shanes a preferred member. i also need one of them bitches to do my laundry regularly.

LSUDad, shane0911 and StaceyO like this.
  3. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Has there been a recent influx of Asians into Plano?

I ask because my sister-in-law lives in Plano. It's been a few years since we visited, but I don't recall seeing half the people we encountered being Asian.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Every Mary Lee's I have ever been in was Korean owned

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Not really recently. I've lived here since '97, and there have always been a lot in that time. My younger daughter's elementary school is 47% Asian, and there is one about two miles away that is about 80% Asian. It kills the grading curve for the Caucasians, that's for sure.

You won't see too many Asians out and about where you would likely go, except on the roads, where they are truly pitiful drivers. The Asians absolutely only socialize with each other, with just a few outliers here and there.

For instance, my younger daughter's best friend since preschool is half Chinese with a Caucasian father, but her mother was born in the US, which makes a big difference. For years, my younger kid was only attracted to Asian boys--but half of the boys she knows are.

6. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

There's definitely something about Koreans and donut shops...I don't eat a lot of donuts but I do love Asian bakeries.

7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

At one time, the last one in BTR to not be owned by Asians was the one on Fla Blvd. I knew the owners of three of the Mary Lee's.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have seen boiled crawfish at Chinese buffets before. If you see some don't even bother trying them.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The problem with beignets is that you have to go out of your way to find them. I can only think of one place in Baton Rouge that serves them and since its on College Dr that almost always has horrible traffic I don't get by there too often.

When all the big Exxon stations were owned by On the Run they all got fresh Krispy Kremes delivered each morning. Now Circle K has bought out all the On the Run's and no more donuts of any kind.

LSUDad likes this.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Donuts are up there with Hot dogs at the top of the list proving the law of diminishing returns. That said, I'm probably good for 2. There are times (not often) where the urge for a chocolate covered donut will just consume me. Meche's in New Iberia makes a pretty good one.

Bengal B and LSUDad like this.