10 Most historically inaccurate movies

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by CajunlostinCali, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

Probably because there is no totally accurate account of what happened at the Alamo. There are bits and pieces from each of the movies that are actually true.

The latest movie is the first to portray Davey Crocket being captured and executed. However, it is highly debated on whether he was captured or he surrendered. Many believe that he was lined up with a few others who surrendered and was shot by a firing squad.

The only real thing we know for sure as inaccurate is that the hump of the Alamo was not put there till a historical agency rebuilt it many years later and that there was probably no roof on the actual building at the time as well.

2. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

The moral of the Tombstone thing:

If you are a historian, don't watch period movies.

Peabody, you're a Daisy! :thumb:

(And, of course, you're right about all that stuff. At least they had Tombstone in Arizona....)

BTW, What did you think of the movie "Wyatt Earp"?

3. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

I really enjoyed Wyatt Earp.

You can't really compare Wyatt Earp with Tombstone.

Wyatt Earp is basically a biography flick about Wyatt Earp. It was really a interesting movie and Kevin Costner did a great job.

Tombstone is a movie about a period of time in Wyatt Earp's life specifically when he arrives in Tombstone. The characters in Tombstone where much more interesting and fun.

I visited Tombstone last year in January while I was in Tucson. It snowed 4' in Tucson and 6" in Tombstone.

4. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

I'll be your huckleberry.

5. paducahmichael

I agree with you about "Wyatt Earp". It was perhaps a bit more historically correct and covered a much longer period of history.

Since it came out the same summer as "Tombstone" I think it's often compared to that movie.

I sort of see Wyatt Earp as the "thinking man's version" of the tale, though I really enjoyed both movies for their entertainment value...and it's a tough choice to say which Doc Holliday was "better". I like 'em both.

Interesting to me that Kurt Russell actually did look a lot like Wyatt Earp when you compare his look to Earp in old photos. Maybe it was just the mustache...

I was in Tombstone in June of 1982. Boy was it hot! (but it's a dry heat.)

6. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I have not seen MArie Antoinette, but I can only assume it was inaccurate. I saw a preview of it with some popular young actress (Lindsy Lohan or Cameron Diaz or Gwyneth Paltrow or somebody like that) and was painting Antoinette as a heroine or something. So it must have been worthless.

7. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I saw both Tombstone and Wyatt Earp, both were entertaining flicks, regardless of how accurate they were, IMO.

But I sure enjoyed Val Kilmer's take on Doc Holliday. Dennis Quaid was good, but Kilmer was a showstealer.

Somehow, I doubt that the real Doc Holliday was that dashing. From everything I've read, he was a mean SOB

8. paducahmichael

Which leads me to believe that Dennis Quaid's version of Doc might be closer to the true character of the man....."All of you can kiss my rebel ****!"

But Val Kilmer's Doc was very cold and yet funny at the same time. Still love the scene where he does the fancy twirling with his silver cup to mock Johnny Ringo.

I think Powers Boothe saw "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" one too many times......he really reminded me of Lee Marvin.