10 Most historically inaccurate movies

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by CajunlostinCali, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Is that the one where Jesus is really pale-skinned with green eyes (which is all but impossible for that time period in that part of the world)?

2. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

So Mel Gibson had 3 out of the top 10? Shocking :shock:

I suppose in his next film he'll play a WWII Australian pilot who slaps Churchill's face (he seems to hate the English), personally chop off Hitler's head and then fly his F-16 (historical innaccuracy) over to Japan to seduce the empress. :grin:

3. burlesontiger

How that didn't make the list, I'll never know. Thanks for saying what needed to be said!

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Thats the one!

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i think you just gave mel gibson a brilliant idea. :hihi:

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I hate anachronisms in film. I especially get annoyed at Kirk Douglas' 1958 flattop haircut in "Spartacus". Even worse is the huge 1969 false eyelashes on Shirley McClain's 1870 nun character in "Two Mules for Sister Sara". Several John Wayne westerns have jet contrails in the sky.

The movie "Excaliber" had King Arthur and his 6th century warriors clad in full 15th century plate armor instead of the heavy leather that is true to the period, not to mention practicing medieval chivalry instead of dark ages barbarity.

7. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

Lack of continuity...one of the most notible was Bullit 1968, Steve McQueen. In the chase scene through the city of SF, the hubcaps kept coming off the cars, then back on, losing all wheelcovers, then a couple more fly off, etc....

8. burlesontiger

I better get screen writer credit! :)

9. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

One of my degrees is History. I can't get enough of it - Well, certain periods of history anyway. Some of it bores even me.

I'm also a real movie freak.

I just try to take the movies for their entertainment value and suspend my knowledge of the actual facts. In a few cases, the facts ARE entertaining. But I don't go to the movies to learn facts.

Speaking of anachronisms, how about "A Knight's Tale" with Heath Ledger and Paul Bettany (who plays Chaucer as a degenerate gambler with a penchant for losing his clothes). Intentionally anachronistic (crowd chanting "We will Rock You, for example) but a ton of fun.

Da movies is da movies. History is history. See, it's not that hard to separate!:)

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Spoofs don't count. Every Mel Brooks movie is filled with them for intentional laughs.