10/5 Games of Interest

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Oct 5, 2019.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Thanks. The numbers suggest a 35 - 21 type score. If I were a bettor, I would stay away from this game.

TerryP likes this.
  2. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

I think Nix ended up with good numbers against Moo St., BUT, it's hard to give full effort when you blink and are down 21-0.

Here's an interesting bit that I think you'll appreciate: ~3 years ago, we were recruiting Brennan at QB and also Lowell Narcisse. Narcisse was high on Auburn if memory serves me, but he came here anyway to battle for the job. A few years later, he bails out to transfer. He's now at UTSA. If he had committed to Auburn, how much better do you think that offense would look with a mobile redshirt sophomore at QB instead of Nix? I think we did the entire conference a bit of a favor.

3. RamahRising

RamahRising Jedi Prophet

Nix has the pedigree from papa and could be a force in a few years if Auburn can get Top 5 recruiting classes to support missing links offensively around him ... And some nasty DBs that they rarely find ...

Kinda tough for them picking up Bama scraps as a second tier team ... Word is (AP) they had a respectable loss to FLA and got dumped at 12 under # 13 Oregon ...

Both are out of National Championship and Playoff Consideration for all logical reasons

4. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

KU's Miles fires O-boss Koenning after 6 games

"This was a difficult decision, but it is in the best interest of our football program both now and in the future," Miles said in a prepared statement. "There is still a lot of football left to play this season and I want to put our players in the best position to be successful, which is why I am making the change now."

:cool: atta babe, Les,.. building an offensive juggernaut

Bengal B likes this.
  5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Not one bit, to be frank. Here's why ...
    @tzanghi how many quarterbacks have we seen developed by Malzahn? The answer is zero. There's one QB we can point to as good, and then Stidham who was a step above the rest we've seen. Cam was one of those guys you only see once every 10 years or so. Stidham, a good QB when he arrived on The Plains, arguably digressed in his time at Auburn.

Consider this, Ramah. Bo has been brought up in a household where his father has experience as an offensive coordinator and quarterback coach. He's now under the tutelage of Gus. He's, literally, had a QB coach his entire life yet he's sitting right at the bottom of the conference in terms of completion percentage. We can look at the 130 teams in D1 and see he's not even in the top 100 in completion percentage. All the while you're asserting a "pedigree" just like we saw the national media try to do in the first six weeks of this season.

He does not have a QB coach in college now. There's one by title, but not one by resume or result.

There was a play Saturday where Gus sent six guys in motion, Nix handed off the Boobie and they ran up the middle -- for a loss. @tzanghi going back to MSU, their first series of plays included several sugar huddles, a double reverse, and a few other "backyard, draw it in the dirt" type of attack. What do you make of an offense that starts off with smoke, mirrors, and a "backyard, let's play basketball" approach? There is no offense.

As I stated in the thread before the game...Auburn, on both sides of the ball, isn't as good as they were last year. I'm of the opinion they are an 8-4 team at best. Bo isn't the answer to their football team, he's the answer to their alumni.

RamahRising likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Moral of the story: if you want your son to be a good QB be a defensive coordinator. Ask Joe Burrow.

7. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Interesting take. It’s hard for me to draw conclusions like that only because Auburn hasn’t had a QB start multiple years in a row consistently for some time. If I remember correctly, Stidham did play a bit his junior year, and he was fairly worse than his senior season. I can’t say that Gus caused that improvement, but it’s worth some value.

I think my take on Narcisse is that he would have gotten more up to speed on the SEC with or without a QB coach, and I think Gus thrives with a running QB who can throw if absolutely needed (like Nick Marshall). So I think he would have been better even if only because he’s older and more mobile(I think).

I had not really thought about the evidence you brought up until now, though. Gus really isn’t very good at developing a QB.

8. RamahRising

RamahRising Jedi Prophet

I hope you’re right about Nix the Wonderboy
    We’ll truck their asses for four years ...
    Gus was at the edge of the coaches Hot Seat ... He can survive another 2 years with Nix and given the fact he has only one loss but Gus seems to have all his eggs in 1 basket with Nix ... Still ... Freshman game in the Swamp ... We’ll see him piss himself in front of 102K screaming drunks soon

Terry ... I was stuck on a plane and didn’t watch Auburn and Nix stink it up ... Trying to get the video and watch this evening ... Thanks for the Nix assessment. I know AU secondary can be beaten to death and wasn’t impressed yet this year in any of their wins As i watched wide open receivers beating AU DBs (MSU game esp) ...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Stidham did beat out the immortal Danny Etling for the job of holding Tom Brady's clipboard. A good gig if you can ger it. It got Rohan Davey 2 Superbowl rings.

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

IF he survives this four loss season (minimum) it'll be because his current buyout is over 21MM. It won't have a thing to do with with Nix (UNLESS ol' Pat starts raising hell about getting a true QB coach.)
    Then why the hell are you making post about the play where Trask was hurt and calling it a dirty play? Are you simply going by published reports on Mullen's halftime tirade?

Your take on that was off, btw, just as some others have pointed out.