“Special admits” for Academically Ineligible

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Aug 10, 2007.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Alas, so in your example, the percentages would matter in terms of measuring.........and.........it would be a loophole- by your admission- which was the crux of the friendly discussion.

These things weren't questioned, at least by me. Again, I just stated that: 1/ The percentages did matter (Just like your example above with the offsides). 2/ It was a loophole.

If I'm off, I do apologize for belaboring the point but I just don't see where I was wrong saying that the numbers weren't "Absolutely meaningless without knowing whether they are based on the same standard or not" like you said in post #13. The "Numbers" are all we have to show the incidences of "Special admits".

2. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

I've already acknowleged that I exagerated when I said the numbers were "absolutely meaningless." I'm not debating that. What I'm trying to figure out is why would you give a ****? There's a good chance that Stanford's numbers, if they were available would be as high or higher than South Carolina's because the entrance standard for the typical Stanford student is very high. If they were as high or higher, what would it tell you beyond the obvious and why would that result be good or bad? When I went to LSU the school had open admissions, meaning as long as you were a La high school graduate you could get in (staying was much harder). If this were still the case, then LSU's numbers would be zero since you could graduate with results below the NCAA minimums. Would having a zero be a good or bad thing and why? Why would it be better than South Carolina's in any meaningful sense? The purpose of my exagerated statement was to draw out some kind of explanation as to why you think these comparisons are interesting, not to engage in an endless technical bull**** debate.

3. LSUTiga

Well why didn't you just say that?? Hell, I never said they were interesting, below is what I posted on it and only asked for thoughts silly rabbit.:hihi:

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

OK, so you assume I'm posting numbers without knowing whether they are based on the same standard or not? Well, be rest assured, they are. I know the guy who did the research.

The 80 something % is from the last three classes. I think the total signed was in the low 70's. The 35 number is the number admitted, not a percentage. So, what's the actual number that S. Carolina admitted. A whole freakin' lot!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the point that the NCAA has their requirement, and the SEC has their own requirement as well. Is it a loophole? You bet ya! They aren't meeting SEC requirements as well.

Best post of this thread? "This is freakin' college!"

5. LSUTiga

Kinda like the offsides rule in football, but instead of a 5 yard penalty........oh, nevamind. :wink:

6. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I guess one has to ask, "What is the purpose of college in the first place?"

7. LSUTiga

Then I guess this thread would fall under history. Man I miss TB3.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't know. Ask this guy

[​IMG]

HalloweenRun likes this.
  9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Whoa this thread threw me off for a minute.

10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

It served Senator Blutarski pretty well didn't it? :D

Bengal B likes this.