“Special admits” for Academically Ineligible

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Aug 10, 2007.

1. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Spurrier knows that he'll have to take more chances on these kids to reach the next level in the SEC. The established football programs get the pick of the litter while other schools are stuck with the leftovers.

There are only so many great athletes with good academics to go around. I guess it comes down to how badly you want to win in football. We know Spurrier wants to win badly.

2. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

There are plenty of students that are admitted to SEC schools every year that are admitted based on ethnic background and gender alone who don't match up with higher qualified applicants! Many of these students are never going to finish, but there are no magnifying glasses over their heads or over the heads of administrators.

And Title 9 ratios have pushed a lot of low profile athletic programs out the door, even in the SEC, in spite of whether athletes have perform well in the classroom or not.

Spurrier is talking about kids with special athletic talents to begin with and who are on the fence academically according to the national standards that the NCAA has established.

Call it a university if you want to bring in kids with exceptional talents outside of pure traditional academic prowess.

Call it a college if you think that being in an atmosphere where academic ability alone is the only thing that matters.

3. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

These numbers are absolutely meaningless without knowing whether they are based on the same standard or not.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Sure they are. The NCAA sets a "Standard", yet allows schools to set lower standards as far as how many students, within the alloted allocation, they choose to "Let in" with the "Speical admit" thingy.........if my understanding is correct.

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I was under the impression that all of these "special admit" students met NCAA standards, jus not the standards of the particular school they were trying to attend.

6. Indiana Tiger

You need to read your story a little more carefully. Each school sets their own admission standards (e.g. Harvard has different admission standards from Harvard on the Bayou). The NCAA simply sets the minimum acceptable standard. Spurrier's beef is that these kids meet the NCAA standard, but the school will not except them from SC's admission standard. I find some of the comments in this tread somewhat bizarre. Without a doubt if these were LSU recruits they would be admitted.

7. LSUTiga

Perhaps you need to read my post a little more carefully. I'm saying that the NCAA gives every school the same window- some raise it more than others; however, each one can open it as much as they want.

Within that framework, each school does have the same parameters. You're pulling one part and spinning it, I never mentioned Spurrier- addressed specifically below, in my comments about your other quote.

Actually, the jest of the article is as I quoted in the initial post, and quite the opposite of what you're saying; more specifically, about students being accepted even though they don't meet the school's reg. academic admission standards.

I understand that not each school sets the same standard; however, the higher the percentage, the more inclined I'd be to believe each school is using the loophole, to a larger degree, to sign players. The post you made the comment on happened to have SC @ 85% and Clemson @ 35%.

You are correct- see above post. :thumb:

Are you basing that on not knowing if the standards are the same?? :wink:

8. Indiana Tiger

I don't know what this window is that you're referring to. From the article:
    All this is just another way of saying that the NCAA sets the minimum, but beyond that schools can choose to do what they please. What the article does suggest is that there is a reform movement that would actually impose some rules about the number and quality of special admits. If that is what you want comments on, I can give you an opinion on that.

I also know you didn't refer to Spurrier, but the thread refers to him.

Okay it's not completely meaningless in the sense that you know what each individual number represents. They tell you nothing about the raw academic quality of the athletes. It's possible that if SC's standards were applied to the Clemson recruits that 100% would need to be excepted. But what you need to realize is that this is not a loophole. The NCAA regs on this is BS aspirational guidelines; not rules. Nobody is getting around anything.

I don't need to know the standards; I can infer it from common knowledge. Some LSU recruits have failed to clear the NCAA Clearinghouse. If LSU's standards were higher than the NCAA minimums, then it would be impossible for recruits not to clear (except in cases where adequate documentation was not sent).

9. LSUTiga

Let me try to show you..........
    Window:
    How much it's raised by any given school:

What's above is bologny.....when you "Bend" rules, it's a loophole. Slice it however you chose, it is what it is.

Wrong thread, has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

No thanks, I'm having a hard enough time keeping the focus of this discussion on topic, and also trying to make you understand that 85% > 35%........no matter how you slice it. It shows a greater use..........not matter whether you know the "Standards" you say are necessary to know, or not. I also have to believe that it will be impossible........no matter how much I repeat. In short, it "No matter". :hihi:

10. Indiana Tiger

We will just have to agree to disagree on whether a rule that allows you to do whatever you want is really a rule or not.
    What exactly do you want the focus of the discussion to be? Apparently you don't want to discuss the merits, impact, etc of creating such a rule.