Your favorite quick and easy recipe!

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by orlandotiger, Jan 18, 2009.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Just remember to grill the onions. Start them 1st and then add the chops to the skillet. :thumb:

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

My mom's famous hamburger recipe:

1 lb ground beef (makes three 1/3 lb hamburgers)

Season with Tony Chachere to taste (I basically cover the meat with seasoning and then mix in, turn over and cover it again)
    Add extra black pepper (spice it up more)
    Mix in chopped onions with the ground meat (I like a lot)
    Mix in a slice of bread in small pieces in with the ground meat (discard the bread ends)

Cook in a black cast iron skillet (better than teflon pots) or one of those grills you can cook with over the stove top (comes in 2 pieces, with the cover you can press down and flatten the burger a bit).

I like cooking mine until it chars it pretty good. Obviously that part is up to you.

Talk about a great burger.

Enjoy.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

My red beans and rice

2 cans of red beans (use either light or dark kidney beans)
    Note: do not drain the beans, use the juice to make the gravy

chopped onions, let them cook in with the beans (I like a lot)
    salty the beans pretty good (otherwise it tastes sweet)
    black pepper and cayenne pepper to the level of hotness you desire (I love it hot)
    lots of whatever butter you wish to use (I use Smart Balance) - approx 2-4 Tablespoons

Simmer beans, onions and butter, between low and medium for about 25-30 minutes. Be careful it will cook down and thicken up quite a bit, I constantly add a little water to get it back to the consistency I like. I probably end up adding nearly a cup of water after all is said and done over that 30 minute period.

Make your rice

I also use Betty Crocker cornbread mix (it's the best I have had store bought mix). Try not to bake it for the entire 16 minutes, 14-15 minute mark and you got some incredibly soft cornbread muffins. I prefer making them into muffins, easier to dole out the portions that way (I make 6 from one batch).

Be careful with the cayenne, you should probably end up with about 1-3 teaspoons if I had to guess.

This is some good stuff.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Quick and easy? Cut a good top sirloin into cubes. Season with salt and pepper. Brown then add a little water and simmer a while to tenderize. Add julienned onions and bell pepper and teriyaki sauce. Don't let the peppers get too soft. Serve with white rice and use chopsticks. That was my kids' favorite meal.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

My Mom was a working mom and she had a dozen casseroles that were quick and easy and I loved them all. The seafood casserole, green bean, and chicken casseroles were really, really good for a 30-minute dish. But my favorite as a kid was my Dad's quick hunting-camp mexican casserole.

can o chili
    can o tamales
    bag o fritos
    cup o grated cheese.

make successive layers of tamales, chili and chips, double deep in a casserole dish. Top with cheese. Bake until the tamales are hot and the cheese is toasted.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

An old girlfriend of mine made a great stir-fry with thin-sliced chicken, chopped walnuts and teriyaki sauce served over a parsley and green onion rice. Damn strong.

7. XXL TideFan

XXL TideFan Founding Member

Cool. I can access these parts that I have never been able to before. Thanks to someone. Any how here is one that is easier than it sounds.

Cuban Eggs

1. 8 hard-boiled eggs
    2. 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
    3. 3 tablespoons milk
    4. 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
    5. Dash pepper
    6. 1/2 cup chopped onion
    7. 1/2 cup chopped sweet green pepper
    8. 1 tablespoon butter
    9. 2 cans (8 oz. each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
    10. Hot cooked rice, optional
    11. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Remove yolks and set whites aside. In small bowl, mash yolks with fork. Stir in 1/2 cup of cheese, milk, salt, and pepper until well blended. Fill each white with one heaping tablespoon yolk mixture. Place in 8x8x2-inch baking dish.
    12. In medium saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and pepper in butter until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and bring to boiling. Pour over eggs. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Serve over rice

Hot sauce to taste

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I gotta admit it. That Zatarain's gumbo base out of the box is pretty sublime if you add frozen okra and crabmeat to whatever else you got lying around.

I was asked once what was the best gumbo I ever made and I replied that to me the best gumbo was the one in front of me. Kind of like New Orleans brass bands - The best one is the one I happen to be in front of.

I do remember the worst gumbo I ever made. I was a sophomore at LSU and I had celery, onion, garlic and bell pepper flour, oil and rice.....and Bologna. Yep, I made bologna gumbo. It was pretty bad, but it was a lot better than a sandwich.:lol:.

[​IMG]

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

1 can of campbells black bean soup
    1 can of rotel
    microwave
    over rice.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i have one like that except i put chili in a baking dish, then cheese, then jalapenos, then cornbread batter.