Wrap your mind around this NFL rule change

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Mar 24, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

"If the clock is stopped in the final minute of either half for a replay review, but would not have stopped without the review, officials will run off 10 seconds before resuming play. Either team could take a timeout to void the 10-second runoff. "

If you watch enough NFL football, you realize that in the last minute of either half, the refs are so very quick to review just about every play.

So you're telling me that in the instance where the booth stupidly decides to review what is a clear cut play, that my team is penalized and will be forced to call a timeout if necessary to keep 10 more seconds on the clock.

Wowzer.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So what if the call on the field is reversed, the challenging team still gets a 10 second run off? So basically the team who was right still has to get penalized in some way shape or form. How about an automatic ejection and a fine for the official who blew the call in the first place.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

In the last two minutes all replays come from the booth.

4. LaSalleAve

same thing though, just no challenge, the team that benefits from the booth review loses 10 seconds for a blown call.

5. clair

clair Rockets

They don't lose anything.

Those same 10 seconds -- if not more -- would have been burned as the clock winded down with the ball in play and the wait for the next play.

About the fastest you can get from Play A to Play B with the clock running is 8 seconds max.

I am not crazy about it, either, but if a team runs a draw and the play ends at 1:50 and a review is called for the spot, the next play would start at 1:40.

Without the review, it would have started around that same time, so I think it's pretty close to being right.

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I think they should make everyone stop exactly where they are if a review is called. No one should be able to move a muscle when the review is going on. Kind of like a giant game of "red light, green light". The jumbotron would simply say "freeze!". Hell even the fans would get into it. Then when the review has been called. The official starts the clock and everybody can move again as if nothing happened. It's the only way to truly make it fair.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Freaking AWESOME, I love this idea.:thumb:

8. LaSalleAve

I just think they should do everything to get the call on the field right. I am not a fan of challenges and having to have timeouts, and losing challenges, it gives the officials too much leeway to screw up. I know blown calls have always been a part of the game, but the league should do everything to prevent those. If a player sucks, and screws up, he can be benched, lose money, cut, etc etc. There should be harsh penalties for blown calls that are obvious. If a call is questionable it should be reviewed period.

9. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

This is the correct response.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Teams in the last minute of play will be running up to the line of scrimmage to hurry the next play, and I can guarantee you the replay booth upstairs will be trying to avoid any unneccesary reviews and will take til the last possible second to call for the review (meaning the stoppage of play will, more times than not, occur right as the team is attempting to snap the ball). You see that happen a lot already, but now that the 10 second rule is in place, the replay booth will be even more diligent in trying to review only when necessary and will cause problems for the offense.