Worst officiated Super Bowl ever?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Feb 1, 2009.

1. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

agree

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I think the referees are getting worse because of replays. They know that they don't have to get the call right on the field, and seem to be relying on replays. Of course, not every play is up for review, but because they are sloppy with things that can be reviewed, it's spilling over into they other phases of the game, as well.

And replays are slowing down games and killing the pacing. I hate it.

4. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I thought that was too close to call in a big spot.
    Not a total BS call.
    If that one is called early 2nd quarter of a game in week 3, nobody really questions it.
    But a big spot in the Super Bowl, and they probably should have let that hit slide.

more a problem with the rule than the call.
    didn't know that was a penalty until last night.
    but if it is illegal, they had to call that one.

They also called a lot of holding on both teams.
    I felt like it was called pretty fair. They blew some calls, but that happens in every game.
    The yardage of penalties looks a lot more lopsided than it really was in reality. The roughing call on Harrison, and Holding in the endzone added up to a total of 1 yard. If it happens farther out, thaey would have added up to 25 instead. Which puts the difference at a little over 20 yards, which is probably at least close to the average difference in an NFL game.

6. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I never understood why offensive players can get away with that; specifically RBs that use that push up on a defender's face mask. I think that should be a penalty too.

7. G8R

G8R Founding Member

I'm not a fan of either team but I do like Mike Tomlin.

That statement is stupid. If the refs were "helping" the Steelers win the game, I'm sure they wouldn't have called the holding call in the endzone with the result of a safety.

All of this bitching about the roughing the holder is laughable. You mean to tell me if Colt David drilled a FG but your holder was trucked, "Death Valley" wouldn't erupt?! That was stupid decision by the Cardinals player and should have been flagged. The holder is never in the play unless its a fake. NO NEED to hit him. Player is defenseless and that sould have resulted in an injury.

I thought the refs had a lot on their plate last night and they handled it quite well.

Go G8RS! Go Bucs!

8. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

The reason it was BS was because he was attempting to block the kick not hit the holder and his forward momentum carried into the holder.

If thats the rule then thats a BS rule. Its one thing to try and take the guys head off like Harris did to that poor guy.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

gotta disagree there.
    the holder is one of the most defensless guys on the field.
    He's crouched down and staring at a ball on a tee/in the air.
    No way to brace/protect himself from a shot like the one he took (intentional or not). Expecially at a position where there is zero need to ever get hit.
    So the rule is there to prevent guys from barreling in without paying attentio to the guy and decapitating him.
    The Cardinals defender should have taken a different angle than one that would carry him into the holder.

10. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I got into a discussion about this last night with the guy I was watching the game with. I said they should call it on both guys, and he said that the ball-carrier's allowed to do that. I know about the "stiff arm", but I didn't think you were allowed to grab the guy by the facemask legally. Who's right?