World Golf Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by BornOnTheBayou, Feb 23, 2022.

1. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

Tiger Woods is being inducted next month. David Feherty is hosting the event. I wonder how deep he is going to stick the needle into Tiger? I wonder if Tiger is going to play the Masters in April? It doesn't look like it. If not, I wonder if CBS will put him in the 18th tower and send Faldo out to a tower on the course?

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Good questions, Feherty will probably push it as far as he can because that is who he is. I'm not sure what is up with Tiger. All of that "I'm not far along as I want to be" talk may be just a lot of doo doo. Possibly to get us all thinking he isn't ready just so he can miraculously be back on the course and have the networks suck him off yet again. I'm going to say no, he doesn't play in April but he will play again,

No idea on the tower stuff, If he is going to do any of that I'm thinking they put him in the booth.

3. BornOnTheBayou

I met Feherty many years ago working The International with CBS as a spotter/scorer. I met Tiger when played at and won the Cannon Junior Cup, a junior tournament played at the Air Force Academy's Eisenhower Golf Course and he won. One afternoon, a good friend of mine who was the Asst Pro Shop Mgr at the course, called and asked me what I was doing? I told him "Ron, I can't play golf this afternoon." To make a long story short, he said drop what you're doing and get your ass up here (5 miles). There's someone hitting balls on the range you absolutely have to see play. He then hung up. I then made the short drive up to the course and met him outside the Pro Shop. We walked down to the range and watched him hit balls. All I could say out loud repetitively was HOLY SHIT!!!. After he quit hitting balls, he introduced himself to us and walked over to the putting green and introducing us to Earl along they way. Earl's eyes lit up when we told him we were both retired GI's and been members at the club for almost 20 years. Earl asked us if we would follow Tiger during his upcoming practice round. I could but Ron had to go back to work. I just remembered. I don't think I ever called the office to let 'em know I wouldn't be back. lol Tiger then asked me what my cap was? I think at the time I was playing to a 9. He tossed me his 7 iron and said "Hit a few practice swings." I did with no reaction from him. He asked what the weakest part of my game was. I said my short game. I could do a pretty good job of reading the Academy's tricky, elevated, contoured greens, I just couldn't make as many putts as I thought I should. He asked me early on to read a couple of putts, 8 - 10 footers. I read them both correctly & he made 'em both. I read a few more for him during the round, but he asked me to do favor and keep Earl occupied. I said can do and laughed. After the round was over Earl bought us a couple of beers. Since competition started the next day Tiger asked if could follow him? I told him I would certainly try. Obviously to say I did. Before the round, I talked to Tiger & Earl about perhaps talking to a USGA rules official and getting an interpretation on me giving Tiger on the course advice. We did and they said no problem. I was simply a spectator. Tiger smiled and shook his hand. This has turned out to be longer than I anticipated. Hope you enjoyed it. If you have any comments/questions shoot 'em my way.

kcal, mctiger and shane0911 like this.
  4. shane0911

That is amazing! Glad you got that opportunity

5. BornOnTheBayou

It was a once in a lifetime chance. The week after John Daly won the PGA Championship I had a pass to The International practice round on Monday. I went up before lunch and watched a few players play a few holes and then watched players hit balls on the range. Late in the day I saw an elderly gentlemen hitting balls on the range. I walked down and watched him hit a few balls and then asked him if I could ask a could ask a couple of questions. It was Ken Venturi. He said sure. First I told him how much I enjoyed their telecast and how they are rightfully were rated the best golf telecast on air. I also told him that I had recently read an article in Golf Digest that gave a behind the scenes look at how CBS puts a golf telecast on the air. I asked him if he knew if there were any openings for local help. He said there usually are & if I could wait he would give me ride to the CBS compound, and introduce me to Chuck Will their Associate Producer who does the hiring. They normally have a few spots open. If need be I'll give you a good word. Chuck & I chatted a few minutes, general type questions. How long have you been playing/best score? He then asked how often do you watch golf telecasts on the weekend? I laughed and said every weekend CBS is carrying it. He laughed and said YOU'RE HIRED!!!

shane0911 likes this.
  6. shane0911

Man you are full of great golf stories! Keep them coming!

Our local radio guy here was on the range with Daly once. He said when Daly would hit his driver it was as the ball would leave the tee and travel for about 100 yards and then it would find another gear and just take off another 20 or 30 feet higher and with even more velocity. I know what he is talking about because I've actually seen the same affect a few times. I'd love to be able to watch these guys smash!

7. BornOnTheBayou

But there's an old saying which I know well which comes to mind. "Drive for show & putt for dough."

shane0911 likes this.
  8. shane0911

I bought one of those putting mat trainers that kicks the ball back to you. I love that thing. Has improved my game really quickly.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

That's an awesome story.

10. BornOnTheBayou

On a golf related note, WTF has Phil Mickelson been thinking? Or more accurately has he lost his fu*king mind? He gives a new definition to the word "GREED" He's got it all. A solid game that enables him to compete on both tours, multiple mansions, private jets, a solid 10 looking wife. Yet, he's in the process of losing a lot of it. His sponsors have dumped him like he's a burning coal. If he hasn't been suspended, I wouldn't be surprised if he is. All of this for listening to and believing Greg Norman, who's a first class prick. But that's a story for another day.

shane0911 likes this.