Vick indicted on dog fighting probe

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by clair, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

This is a very good point but I think it depends on an individuals intentions and whats in their hearts.
    If its for food thats one thing even though I would want them treated and killed as humanely as possible.

I would want every part of an animal used just like the indians and eskimos do.

Then again we go back to ones intentions.
    A hunter who shoots for food vs one who shoots animals and leaves them be to rot away for entertainment purposes only.

I wouldn't say we choose to ignore any such thing, maybe we just don't know or understand because no one informs us.
    If you are talking about our food supply I would change things to be more humane if I could if I was W.

I think that depends on the intentions of one versus the other.
    Like I said I'm against cruelty to animals including possibly those killed for food.
    I would probably be a vegetarian if I knew the way animals might could be killed.
    I still think food versus sport are two different things.

Luckily I never had to kill any animals but I've heard about some of that my wifes family did on thier ranch.
    I don't know but it seems to me that it is somewhat humane to put animals down when they are suffering or nearing the end but maybe I'm a hypocrite because I'm against people committing suicide.
    I don't know, I admit I have some personal issues here I haven't been able to come to terms with yet.:redface:
    Then again its good intentions versus bad.

Doing this for sport or entertainment like this is just awful, bad and wrong!

1 person likes this.
  2. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Society determines our more favored animals. I don't endorse killing animals for killing sake (snakes aside, obviously, but even that's self-defense of our dogs. Go figure.)

Nevertheless, torturing dogs for sport is barbaric, and I don't give one bit of a damn if it's "endorsed" in certain cultures (not necessarily on racial lines.) In fact, Clinton Portis and his buddy Chris Laffy Taffy Samuels can both jump in an electrified lake as far as I'm concerned.

I'm far from a PETA type, but find this behavior utterly unacceptable and offensive. I hope he and his crew are punished to the full extent of the law, which is apparently 6 years imprisonment.

I expect Goodell will drop a hammer well before the trial, if his past actions are any indicator. I'm still not a big fan of that, but not really sure what else he can do.

So in summary, yes, NLMD supports one more criminal prosecution for elite athletes that entertain me. Now the list is: spousal abuse, child abuse (or related), and animal cruelty. Congrats Vick, you made me add a damned category.:angryfire

2 people like this.
  3. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

not a bad idea but too easy

1 person likes this.
  4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I had no idea he had a rap sheet like that?:dis:
    Wow, as good a football player as he is when it comes to being a human being he is the exact opposite.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

thats my point. animals suffer so we can ride in comfort in our leather seats or shoes or belts whatever but since its a cow, we assume they are killed humanely or simply dont care. because its a cow.

what our intentions are is indifferent to the animal. suffering is suffering. if we cared about all animals per se as much as we claim, this wouldnt happen.

for me, i dont care enough i suppose. im glad to eat meat and wear leather shoes without being overly worried what happens in the process even though im quite aware. it doesnt affect me.

i would never be a vegetarian since the human body is designed to live off meat and has for millions of years. only the last few milliseconds have we added the garden variety to our diet but thats another subject.

certainly society decides yet we also decide smoking pot is often more of a crime than murder so I cant really use that as my guide.

if we're honest about it, we dont care about animals unless we have an emotional attachment. otherwise, its fair game.

i think most of us see the loyalty in our dogs which makes them seemingly more innocent than children that we cannot fathom other societies raising them for consumption.

then again, just because we decide as a society what is acceptable and what isnt doesnt change the fact animals suffer senselessly just as much as those dogs did so we can live our quality of life.

6. NoLimitMD

But Tirk, those animals like cows are killed so that we can eat them and use their parts.

These dogs were tortured and killed for edification and gambling. Big difference, IMO.

If folks want to raise and then eat dogs, that's fine by me. Not my cup of tea, but it's not senseless killing (and torture.)

1 person likes this.
  7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

really? a man paralyzed for life due to pacman having his bodyguards going in and shooting up some people isnt all that bad?

8. NoLimitMD

You said it. Pac Man's bodyguards, not Pac Man. It's not like he ordered them to start shooting. That's just what they do. And it's well-established that they LOVE a boobie bar.

There's also some assumption of the risk when you're a big, bad bouncerman at a Vegas strip club. And I said SOME, not like you're expecting to get paralyzed, though it's obviously not out of the question. But you know the job is fraught with risks, and sometimes soccer/purpura happens.

9. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Most surprising thing I learned from all of this is how wide the disparity for various punishments are depending on your involvement. Different charges/punishments for actual dog fighting, raising/training dogs to fight, attending dog fights, etc. And what a variance through the states. I really thought Americans had left this behind.

Quite the pickle Vick has left the Falcons in. I don't envy them.

10. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Will he be conVICKted ? Do you think they bought the "rape stands" at Wal-Mart or Target ?

BANKER: Hey Michael (aka Okie), what happened to all of your money and fame ?

MICHAEL: My dog ate it ?

1 person likes this.