Urban Meyer Stepping down at Florida per ESPN

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by SabanFan, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Florida has 3 big time football programs along with up and coming South Florida. Louisiana only has one world class football program. Add in the fact that LSU, Alabama, Georgia and others recruit heavily for the cream of the crop in the state of Florida. Ever since the year 2000 LSU has done a great job of getting most of the elite players in Louisiana and picking off some of the top talent in Florida and Texas

Another fact is that a very large percentage of the best football players are African Americans and most of the rest of the good players are white. While there have been a few great Hispanic football players the percentage is negligeable. The states of Florida and Texas have a much greater percentage of their citizens who are of Hispanic heritage than does Louisiana. If you only consider the white and black portion of the state's population I am sure that the per capita statisics would be a little less skewed.

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I am sure I will be skewered, but there are some classless posts in this thread. A lot of them.

Next time you get on the Gumps for being low class, review some of the inane comments here.

No big fan of Meyer but the man is a college football icon. He is stepping down for health reasons. Not a great day for college football. I will tell a good Gator joke (especially crude ones) as quick as anyone here, but the man has done very well in the best conference in a very very competitive sport.

I wonder if some of you guys would be such haters if this was the Tulane coach rather than someone who routinely kicks our butt. Doubt it.

I don't think UF will be as good without Meyer, and that is good for us, but to insult and demean the man at the top of his game, who is stepping down due to health issues, is tacky and classless.

hwr

1 person likes this.
  3. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Let me explain something to you. It's simple. Florida has 30 bigtime recruits, and three bigtime schools (FSU, Miami, UF). Louisiana has 10 bigtime recruits, but only one bigtime school (LSU). So when talking about attractive coaching jobs relative to the talent instate, Louisiana ranks right up there with the Florida, Cali, and Texas, when our talent per capita is taken into consideration.

4. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Excellent point. Ironically, Parseghian won the 1973 national championship and had most of his players returning for the '74 season, but it was not to be. He resigned just weeks before the bowl game, which he won against Bama. Both were born and raised in Ohio, both started their coaching there, both resigned citing health issues.

Given Meyer has acknowledged Parseghian as one of his favorite coaches, I can imagine him thinking of Ara during his decision.

I believe his health issues are real. I believe the timing of the announcement is show biz.

5. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I think most comments were all in good fun. That's what makes college football different. The jabs back and forth from fanbase to fanbase is just part of CF. Most of us respect what Meyer has done on the field and his life doesn't seem to be in imminent danger, so why not have a little fun with the situation?

6. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

As much a relief this is for us, I'm sad to see the strength of the SEC diminished.

I'm sure they'll reload. It's UF.

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Couldn't agree more. As good as this is for LSU in the short-term, a big part of me hates to see it. I'd prefer it if he stuck around and we improved enough to be the better program. Making the SEC less competitive actually hurts the other SEC teams come bowl season or OOC play.

However, class has often escaped Meyer in his tenure at UF, and I'm sure that has fueled a lot of the negativity coming from LSU fans. He tried to hamstring LSU on several occassions, and make snide remarks about us at other times. This certainly doesn't justify making light of the man's health, but I think it makes it easier for some fans to take jabs at him.

8. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I disagree with this!
    Like others have said.
    You don't run down other programs to sign recruits.
    You sign recruits by talking about your own program.
    There isn't any class about the Gumps or Gators because of their coaches and the way they use dirty tactics recruiting players.
    If any LSU coach did it I'd feel the same way!
    Yes he has done very well, some of his success may be due to dirty recruiting, talking down other programs once again!
    I didn't read every post here, I don't think he should be demeaned but at the same time he has brought it up on himself because he has no class just like that Bama coach.

10. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Hey Halloween, I don't see all these terrible posts you commented on. I see some that state they don't care for UM as an individual or a coach but nothing as bad as you seem to indicate. Something must have struck a nerve that I don't see (though I haven't read every post with a fine tooth comb).

And if Meyer has a bad heart or heart valve, the stress of coaching with such adrenaline surges could aggravate these conditions. Of course, I as a Tiger and Saints fan tests my own ticker with adrenaline surges just watching these games every weekend. Meyers going into the back office at Florida might still have a problem.