Urban Meyer Stepping down at Florida per ESPN

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by SabanFan, Dec 26, 2009.

1. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

So Ara made it to 51 years old as coach. Urban made it to 45.

Ara coached ND for a decade (64 to 74), Urban coached FL for half that (05-09)

Don't think Urban would be cool with you putting him in the same boat as Ara Parseghian. But who knows, I don't know Urban, maybe he would like that.

2. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

The mere fact he's a rival schools coach mandates non of us like the guy, but if time twisted and he and miles were switched around, we'd all be cheering the dude on with an outstanding winning percentage over the last 5 years the same way we currently celebrate the success miles has brought to LSU over the same span of time. I'll miss the competition he brought to the LSU/Florida games making them all instant classics.

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I dunno, I'd have had a hard time accepting Meyer as our coach. Always thought the guy came across as a weasel. I don't think I'd have been proud of LSU had Meyer been our coach, I don't think so at all.

4. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Could be that being the headcoach of a premiere Div. I college in the toughest conference in the nation carries with it the stress and aging effects similiarly compared to how the stress of being president has on his health after only 4 years.

5. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I don't know about that bro... I wasn't very keen on saban when he was here, but I still followed and cheered the program as LSU is bigger than him... but there's a lot of similiarities between those two.

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I liked Saban at LSU. But yeah, not cool with him going to our enemies, lost all respect for him after that. But I never had respect for Meyer, and man, that would have sucked for me had that weasel been our coach. I just never liked the guy. I felt sorry for Florida fans when he was their coach (and Florida fans were noticeably very quiet while Meyer was their coach... which doesn't surprise me).

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Yeah, it would have really sucked for you if Urban Meyer had won 2 National Championships at LSU in 3 years. For anybody who believes that I have some swampland for sale that some wealthy investors are planning on building the next New York City

8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Yeah bro, I won't argue about meyer being a weasel and it'd suck to have LSU get a guy like that, but in reality a .800+ win percentage, 2 conference and national championships in 3 years will do a lot to help people look the other way. I guess I just always saw saban the same way you see meyer, lieing about going to tuscaloosa just cemented my views.

9. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

That's a ridiculous statement to say the least. Per capita means nothing in recruiting. Louisiana may have 10 big time recruits and lead the nation in big time recruits per capita while Florida has 30 big time recruits but a lower per capita rating. Which would be be the better recruiting ground? Florida of course.

10. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

It sounds to me, from the media reports and his actual statements, that he is experiencing panic attacks. Panic attacks are not life threatening, but can be quite debilitating. Basically, stress makes the mind send out signals to other areas of your brain, chest, heart, etc that make you feel that either the world is ending (doom and gloom feelings), or that you are having a heart attack. All reports indicate that he has no structural or rhythm problems with his heart, so this heart muscle stuff is not accurate, and I have not heard anything about a brain tumor, like someone had intimated earlier. He is apparently going to hold a conference today, so he may say then what specifically is going on.

So, it sounds like it is not seriously threatening, and that he is going to be fine, but needs to reduce his stress significantly.