U.S. Open

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by TigerBait3, Jun 11, 2008.

1. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Who ya got?

Should be a great open, on a great course. Personally, I love challenging courses, but it isnt fair to the players nor does it create great golf when all scores are over par and the greens are running 14+.

Hopefully (probably) we will see some risk reward and some birdies.

My pick: Sergio Garcia
    Sleeper: Henrik Stenson
    Extreme Sleeper: Tim Clark

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

My pick: Phil Mickelson (monkey extricated from back)

Woods has won at this course in 6 of 11 attempts. That's just absurd. But the knee will give him just enough problems, long with the rust, and keep him from winning another Open.

Jim Furyk has had a horrible first half of the year, but I expect him to be in this going into the back 9.

Sleeper: Luke Donald

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Torrey Pines, i didnt think it was considered a extremely difficult course.
    I am going to go with Woods, Garcia and Mickelson have proven to me that they cant fit the bill, they didnt even step up in Tigers absence.

So if Tiger doesnt win it, it will be an international player.

4. TexTiger

TexTiger Founding Member

Boo Weekley

No real reason. I just like typing Boo Weekley

5. DRC

DRC TigerNator

This course is going to be VERY difficult. I had a friend play at Torrey Pines back in February while they were setting it up and he was blown away at how long its going to be. We arent going to see another Shinnecock but then again who wants too? We also arent going to see 5-8 over win this tournament but then again, who wants too? The US Open setup has been more than ridiculous during the last few years. It was almost a joke, especially at Shinnecock a few years back when all you had to do was blow on the ball and it went 20 feet on the green. Torrey Pines will be the hardest test for golfers this year because it will be very long, very unforgiving rough, very hard greens and crazy pin placements. Maybe we'll see a 4 or 5 under win it but par will be good after Sunday.

6. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

It is going to be ridiculously long. Torrey Pines isnt much of a U.S. Open course so I am looking forward to it - those days at Shinnecock were embarrassing and the USGA will probably not go that far again, hopefully.

Joke? No? Not reading sarcasm well this morning.

7. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Even though Tiger hasn't struck a competitive shot since the Masters, he should contend. He knows the course and he was able to practice his short game while he was rehabbing. If he can keep his tee shots out of the deep rough he will be in the hunt Sunday afternoon.

Lefty will contend if Bones leaves the driver in the trunk.

Unless Sergio putts unconsciously I don't see him contending.

Dark horses: Furyk, Stephen Ames & Steve Stricker.

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

The course seems to be playing very fair as there are a lot of birdies being recorded today - risk/reward. Tiger doubled out of the gate but is playing well now.

Hicks -4 14*
    Sheehan -3 14
    Karlsson -3 12*
    Appleby -3 11*

Woods -1 12
    Mickelson +3 12

Live Scoring

9. DRC

DRC TigerNator

He doesnt have a driver in the bag. He has some custom wood the announcers are calling a 3 wood but it over 11 degrees so its more like a 1 and 1/2 wood or a 2 wood.

These scores are low because there is little wind. Thats unlikely to be the case 4 straight days. When the wind kicks up these scores are going to follow.

10. areed7

areed7 Founding Member

HAHAHA

I don't mean to pick on you, but he's +6 through seven holes...