Tommy Tuberville is out as Auburn football coach

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by TigerBait3, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Petrino and Fisher are not going anywhere. Butch Davis could be a definite possibility.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

petrino would slit his mother's throat for another quarter.

jimbo's stock would increase if he succeeds at AU and FSU wouldnt be the only team wanting him. of course he would leave given the right dollar amount.

davis is probably least likely of the 3.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Jimbo leaving would shock me.

Again, it will be a tough sell now that Saban is at Bama dominating the recruiting landscape.

2 years ago, they probably would have gotten a pretty sweet haul.

4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I agree. Auburn's situation is similar to what Alabama had to deal with for a couple of decades. Even a man like Gene Stallings - a man that could handle Junction could not handle the Good Ole Boys, so he had to retire. It is is the reason Alabama could not find a quality coach for years because nobody wanted to deal with that mess. I am assuming there are quite a few people that don't want to deal with a mess like that at Auburn right now either, plus Saban has all the momentum in the state. It will take a no-nonsense, a-hole mentality that a guy like Saban has to clean it up, or Auburn will be hiring another coach in four years.

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Good article by Ivan Maisel, who obviously has followed the state of Alabama closely for decades.

It's about Auburn, but there is some good advice for some of our fans if you just picture him writing it about LSU.

6. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Well...interesting dinner with a couple of aubies last night. Bottom line, Aub had no intention of firing Tubs and didnt fire him. After meeting with the AD and Pres Tubs just wasn't up to the monumental rebuilding task and made a deal with Aub to get some money and work on his family life. Tubs is not going to be coaching anywhere next year and unless the fire returns could end up staying in Auburn the rest of his life. He will be a participant in acclimating a new coach to his surroundings and to the recruits.

I was pretty surprised to hear some of the stuff they were saying about Tubs, both good and bad. After 10 years it boils down to burnout and not having the energy to reinvent himself and Auburn. Head coaches are salesman and look at the sales tools everyone around him has then consider what you are selling as a 10 year Auburn coach.

Tubby was the elder statesman of SEC coaches....for 3 days. Fulmer was grandpa until Sunday...then Tubby until yesterday.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

So, who, now is the "dean" of SEC coaches? Is it Spurrier? Meyer? Miles? Are they all tied? Or am I forgetting someone?

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Jimbo Fisher or Will Muschamp gunning for this job. Both are at schools where they are "coach in waiting" (which I hate, by the way), but both want to make their own mark and be a head coach.

Fisher, especially, is in a very tenuous situation @ FSU. They aren't what they used to be, and you know that their fans want to be back on top. If they never rise again under Bowden to their 1990's levels, will the fans even want Fisher when Bowden finally decides to retire?

So, if I'm Fisher, I might like to go to AU and see if I can really be a success as a head coach--and think what storylines there would be in the SEC, with Fisher going up against Saban and Miles, yearly--after he was on staff for a good tenure @ LSU.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Richt

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

bobby johnson.:grin:

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

The funny thing about this whole situation is that I am amazed that Tubbs stayed at Auburn as long as he did.
    Think about it, Arkansas did something similar to Nutt last year that Auburn did to Tubbs a few years back.

I can't remember the time frame here but Auburn was going behind Tubbs back looking for a new head football coach.
    It was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
    Alabama risin helped speed things up.