Tom Dempsey's 63 yard FG

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Oct 23, 2006.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Seeing the game winning 62 yard FG from the Tampa Bay kicker yesterday, I couldn't help but think of how they figure which yard line to use to declare the official distance from.

In Dempsey's kick, the ball is clearly inside the 63 yard line (about 62 2/3 yards away).

If I am not mistaken, in today's measurement, that would officially be a 62 yarder. It has to be on the yard line to count the next yard, not just which yard line its closer to. Maybe someone can expand on this, but I think I am right.

Nonetheless, its maybe the greatest kick of all time. I think Morten kicked a 60 yarder to win a game against Chicago. That was pretty damn awesome too.

Tampa's kicker appears to have kicked it further than either Elam or Dempsey. It appears his would have been good from 65.

2. TN Tiger

TN Tiger Founding Member

It blows me away that Dempsey's record still stands. With players getting bigger and stronger at every position you would think that one would be broken by now.

3. islstl

The main problem is a team won't take a chance unless its the very last play of a half or the game....so the number of times you attempt it is limited. But I agree, its an amazing record that has withstood time.

4. HogCity Tiger

HogCity Tiger Founding Member

What's even better about Tom Dempsey's 63 yarder is he did it with half his foot missing!
    I wonder if Auburn has given any thought about bringing back the straight on style kicker?
    Some would say that wouldn't help, in my opinion it wouldn't hurt..
    Anyone remember trying extra shoe laces from your front cleat around to the back of your ankle to get that desired 45 degree toe angle for a little extra oomphski? :)
    Is the 'House of Athletics' still open in BTR?

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

My Dad and Uncle still talk about that kick and how the crowd was in shock when it went through the posts. What a story, why do we not here more about that kick from the media. They do segments on all kind of great achievemnets, missing half a foot has to be one of them.:nope:

6. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Must've all been in the balance. After all, he was missing half an arm too.

7. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I thought it was just the opposite. If it was more than 62 but less than 63 they rounded it up to 63. I wouldn't bet my life on it. :lol:

I'll try and find a definitive answer. Checked the NFL web site with no luck.

8. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

The Saints weren't missing 3 points after the kick !

9. islstl

I am almost 100 % positive its the other way around. Seen too much football and I am a stickler for little details/nuances like that.

10. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Would that be the same as "The Athletic House" on Tom Drive?

Nope, it's gone...