Thoughts of Barry Bonds Breaking Record

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by tygertail, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

The moment he broke McGuire's single season record, and as soon as he passes Aaron, he assumes the position of that guy. Nobody is harping on McGuire as much anymore, because he's not is 1st place. Nobody every tries to get the runner-up tossed. Same thing in this situation, if you're "allegedly" cheating, the media/general public will try to knock down the top guy 1st.

2. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Those forms of cheating never killed anybody. Check my "sarcastic" remarks about corked bats.

Glad that I live in the heart of Bonds country. I am glad that many of my friends are myopic Giants fans. And I am glad that you believe this form
    of cheating is just "baseball being baseball".

Bonds of all the players involved (that we know of, at least) didn't really even need 'roids. He was clearly a HOFer even before the phenomenal growth spurt. He has great God given talent and a great work ethic. He felt the need to keep up with McGwire and Sosa, two more odious individuals.

I never disputed that we weren't responsible.

In fact, I agreed that we were.

I clearly stated earlier that I'm not paying for it any more, and haven't since '04.

Cheating is cheating is cheating.

Some is fresh. Some is clever. This particular form of cheating involves player's health, and their lives. I really don't have a problem with grown adults putting whatever they want into their bodies, my problem is with the example that they set for youths, not understanding the risks.

3. bayareatiger

Would be a positive step forward.

4. bayareatiger

**** BINGO ****

But bring up McGwire's name and check people's responses.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I have made alot of money selling Barry Bonds baseball cards on ebay the last few months. I hope he hits 8,000 home runs, and I can continure to get 40 and 50 bucks for his rookie cards for a long time. I will still never consider him anything more than a cheater, but as long as he is going to taint the game I may as well line my pocket.

6. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

It is just another form of cheating, and that is baseball. Remember 1919? White Sox fix the Wold Series, ringing a bell? Didn't that ruin baseball?

What would you call this?

Yeah you are agreeing, but your sarcasm leaves a great deal to the imagination. You still only blame Barry instead of the environment we created.
    But you paid for it before and the alleged steroid abuse was no mystery when these guys were shattering records in the late 90's. There were plenty of rumblings about it then. So, in a way, you did support it.

Yep, and it has not been proven that Barry did knowingly cheat.

Again you fall back on this fresh argument. It played no part in the majority of your rants. And it is also not ever mentioned as the reason people have a problem with Barry. Instead all the other reasons you mentioned are brought up:

Where is your love and concern for the kids in any of those reasons? It was never given until I pointed out that cheating has been rampant in Baseball since the beginning. And gave several examples of great players that were not considered the best teammates or loved by the fans. That is when you shifted your argument to concern for the kids. You keep going on about this now, but it has nothing to do with why you stated you hated Bonds.

7. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Ahh, but they didn't do that with these guys did they? Baseball did not step up and protect the "integrity of the game". They have milked the home runs until the public has finally gotten on them, and now they are hanging these guys out to dry. If the commissioner thought that Barry was guilty and was bad for baseball, then he should have been kicked out long ago. Now that the end is near and the record in sight, now they want to act holier then thou. It's pathetic that the majority of fans are acting like sheep and doing exactly what Baseball wants. First they made you love them in spite of the questions about steroids(and they were always there), and now they are going to make you vilify them, in spite of having no proof.

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I keep hoping Bonds gets hurt or indicted, one or the other.
    Believe me I'm no fan of wishing people to be injured but I do not want him to break this record.
    I guess its baseball's own fault the record will be tainted when the time comes!

1 person likes this.
  9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

No baseball didn't, mainly because, IMO, a lack of true leadership. Owners, managers, and the commissioner allow the players union to walk all over them. The players are calling the shots now. Which is a BIG part of the problem. The players union is one of the reasons it took this long to get testing in baseball. Lord knows baseball can't afford to have another players strike, so now the powers that be have absolutely no power. All the union has to do is threatened to strike, and Selig has little choice but to cave in to their demands. Gone are the days of Commissioners like Kennesaw Mountain Landis, who cared not what the players thought, but what America needed. And until baseball gets a comissioner with any intestinal fortitude whatsoever, things will never actually get better. Past commissioners pulled the trigger with no more circumstatial evidence than what Selig has on these guys. Only diffenerce is they had the balls to do what's right.

2 people like this.
  10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

looks like selig lied and isnt going to be at tonight's bonds' balco bonanza.