Thoughts after the Detroit game

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Sep 13, 2009.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

1) The offense is simply unstoppable, what I expected.
    2) Red zone offense looked superb, which was still a concern of mine.
    3) Defense looked good. Only gave up about 140 yards if it wasn't for Randall Gay keeping Roman Harper from sacking Stafford on that 70 yard pass to Calvin Johnson. What the hell was Gay turning inside on the right tackle and closing the gap that Harper was supposed to shoot through? Brainfart.
    4) Darren Sharper is the real deal and is the glue to this defense. What a free agent pickup he is.
    5) We have a fullback who can catch the ball out of the backfield. Is that even fair that we have yet another weapon?
    6) Reggie Bush looked like trash out there and that's disappointing. Just make him into a wideout and be done with it.
    7) Mike Bell is our starting running back for the rest of the season, barring injury. He is better than Pierre Thomas. Thomas will be a very nice backup option of course.
    8) Special teams was about as bad as it could be from the 2nd quarter on. That has got to be fixed.
    9) Shockey looks like he is ready to return to the Pro Bowl.
    10) Still need to work on innovative ways to get to the QB. We have to create sacks.

2. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Saints HAVE TO STOP LETTING TEAMS HANG AROUND IN A GAME!!!!!!

Detroit had no business scoring 27 points. But because the typical Saints make stupid turnovers and bad special teams play, Detroit hung around for a while.

Saints CAN'T play like this against good teams, or we're looking at another 8-8 wait til next year season.

Offense is awesome and the D looks considerably better than it has in a while. But the "brainfarts" have to stop if they have a chance at making it to the Super Bowl.

3. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Agree with most of your points. Would only add that we keep in mind it was the first game, and it was Detroit. The parts of our game that looked really bad (special teams, I'm looking at you) will probably improve, and the parts that look unstoppable will face tougher challengers as the season progresses.

Overall, I'm happy with the defensive effort. Most of the points Detroit scored were the result of shoddy special teams and turnovers by the offense. Reggie Bush needs to secure the ball better, that's all there is to it.

4. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

Only 2 problems with the game

1.) WHY IN THE HELL DID YOU KEEP ROD HARPER if you not gonna let him return kickoffs or punts!

2.) Reggie Bush is GARBAGE! Putting 2 balls on the turf is bad enough to do it in YOUR CONTRACT year is just stupid!

Other then that it was a WIN and GREAT to watch em play some real football!!!!

Sharper and Vilma right now have to go down as the GREATEST Free Agency move in the HISTORY OF THE NFL!!!!!!!!

The one thing that worries me was the way Bell was slow to get up after almost ever hit!

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Someone else who deserves praise tonight is Scott Shanle. The defense's new whipping boy now that Jason David is gone. But Shanle had an int, a tfl, and was generally very active today. Maybe we're going to see a case of the player fitting the system with SS.

6. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Where are the Bush worshipers?

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The Saints special teams are going to lose them a few games this year, absolutely terrible.

Great pass proteciton for Brees today, he could have started a campfire and made smores in the pocket. Brees is Brees, that guy is a complete quarterback and could be the most accurate, and smartest qb in the league right now. Mike Bell had a great game, Vilma, Sharper, Colston needs to work on the drops. And Bush needs to start getting fined for every fumble, drop, even if they aren't lost, or when he is down or out of bounds.

8. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

If they play like that all year long, sure. They didn't look nearly that bad last year, so I'm going to go with them getting this cleaned up in the next few weeks.

9. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

As far as SP Teams goes I wish they would bring back Bobby Aprils they have never been as good as they were under him..dude was a animal on the sideline

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Bush is still a great asset, they just need to use him correctly.