The skinny on the Miami Dolphins missing on Brees twice

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Oct 20, 2009.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

2. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Brees is a good quarterback but it's the match of Brees and Payton that really makes it special. Saban wouldn't have know what to do with him.

3. islstl

this is a great point

Brees' career could be over by now had he gone to the Dolphins with little offensive support.

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I was just thinking a little while ago.....Jim Henderson's been referring to the Krewe de Drew offense, and WWL was trying to generate a nickname for the D the other night (my favorite: Domeland Security). I think we need a way to express how well-matched Payton and Brees are. Its almost like they channel each other; Brees executing just what Payton is thinking. I think Payton and Brees are a little like that terrible twosome from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. They are our MasterBlaster... but much more loveable.
    Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo Saintslogo

5. islstl

I've never seen an OC and QB this well paired up ever.

They need each other.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Brees would have still done well in Miami. He wouldn't have done 5,000 yards well, but he would have done as well as he had done in San Diego. His success is not tied to Payton, but rather enhanced by their partnership.

7. MLUTiger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. islstl

I would put Walsh/Montana as closest.

Warner just had all the weapons and a great O-line. It was a great pairing, you are correct. But I could argue you could have put 8 or 9 different QBs in teh NFL from that time in that system and be just as successful.

There is only one QB I would consider handling the complexity of the Saints offense and that's Peyton Manning, of course.

9. MLUTiger

Yes, but the argument made was for the QB/Coach pairings. Warner would still be a bagboy in the midwest were it not for Martz, who didn't even know what he had until Trent Green got hurt. The years of Arena Football paid off in Martz's quick strike offense. Elway was a good QB without Shanahan; Great with him. Definitely a difference maker for the two. I probably could have added Favre and Holgren, too. Favre is good without Holmgren, but there was a definite dropoff without him.

Also, I couldn't find a picture of Fouts and Coryell, but I felt they were worthy of mention.

I don't really know why the Colts even have an OC. They should just fire Tom Moore and give Peyton that money, too.

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Which leads me to a question: if Sean Payton calls the Saints plays, its logical to assume he's designing said plays and determining which plays will be implemented for any given game. So what does our offensive coordinator do?