The Saints are playing the best ball in the league

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by tigerjuice, Sep 20, 2009.

1. tigerjuice

tigerjuice Founding Member

right now. For the first time in their history, THey really look legit this year. I can actually envision them playing in the Superbowl.

1 person likes this.
  2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I wouldn't go that far. Brees and the passing game are the best in the league by far. The running game is still lacking and the special teams suck. The defense isn't giving up a ton of points but has a ways to go to reach the level of someone like the Steelers. Over all the Saints look pretty good and have real potential, but they don't look Super Bowl ready yet. If the running game can get going(bench Bush) and they patch up the special teams play, the defense should improve with time. Potential is definitely there.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The running game is far from lacking.

They are averaging 135-140 yards per game, and that would put the Saints into the top 5 by year's end.

With Shockey opening up the middle, Henderson's light coming on finally, Meachem playing more like the #1 draft pick and the running game to go with the passing, this is as unstoppable an offense as you will find. Even the redzone problems on offense seem to be a thing of the past. We're getting the ball into the endzone at a very high rate.

The defense isn't playing well overall, but they aren't letting people score a lot of points. Detroit scored basically only 10 points and Philly 20. They are creating turnovers and were the reason why the game vs Philly got out of hand with the 2 easy TDs they set up for the offense to start the 2nd half. Mixed bag so far, but something to build upon.

We have maybe the best punter in all of football, and a kicker who is basically nails withing 42 yards and in. Reggie needs to get his act together and he will bust one in the punting game eventually. The coverage team has been all over the map, and that needs to be taken care of.

I have the Saints only behind the Giants in the NFC thus far, and will probably be in the top 3 after I re-do my power rankings on Tuesday.

4. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

They will be there.

5. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

Other than that one kick return given up, I thought the special teams were pretty solid yesterday. It may be time to look to a different punt returner (other than Bush), but I didn't think he played too terrible out of the backfield yesterday. They just need to quit asking him to run between the tackles. That will NEVER be his game; he is a role-playing, third down back. As soon as the Saints (and Reggie) realize that-and pay him accordingly after this contract, we can all get on with our lives without worrying about it.

The D gave up a lot of passing yards, but a lot of those came after a comfortable lead, plus they did a good job keeping them out of the end zone. After the last couple of years, I'll take that.

This week vs. Buffalo and T.O. should be interesting. This will be the first time I will get to see 2 Saints games in a row in years.

6. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

A great offense can lead a team to the playoffs, once there, a team has to have a defense. Hopefully by that time the Saints' D will have improved enough to do the job. The Saints have more than enough offense.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

the weapons arent all that great. its just brees makes it all work.

stick shockey on another team and hes just another TE.

devery might not make another roster.

bush would be benched.

lance moore would be bagging groceries.

and meachem would be a return guy only.

brees could put any of you in the slot with the others out wide and still put up 400 yards.

put aaron brooks behind center and you have an average team with very limited weapons.

wait, using aaron brooks is too extreme of an example.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Devery from a couple of years ago, yes. Now he is a more complete wideout and would be a lot of teams' 3rd WR.

I think Moore would be a good slot guy for a bunch of teams (Indy, for sure).

Shockey, when healthy, is one of the 3 premier TEs in the NFL.

But I do agree that I could even get out on the field and would catch 8 balls for 91 yards.

I remember one of the games in 07, maybe the Bengals game, when both Horn and Colston were out and Brees threw for 500 yards.