The Official "Trade Reggie Bush" thread

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by b_leblanc, Sep 14, 2009.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

yep, he was a cog in the wheel as they say again today.

He scored a very important TD with a nifty run just before the half.

And there were some huge pass plays downfield that was cleared by using Reggie as a decoy. Linebackers and safeties overzealous.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

That was especially evident on the 3rd and long completion to Moore. Aikman pointed out that the linebackers took very shallow drops considering the down-and-distance. He didn't point out that they were occupied by Bush, who lined up inside Moore and ran a short route across the middle.

Other than his last carry, when he got stone-walled up the middle and tap-danced for a 5-yard loss, RB was effective against NYG. He certainly wasn't called on very much, and obviously, we got more than enough done without a big contribution from him.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

RB is under contract through '11. I can't see anyone wanting to trade for him unless they are convinced they can turn him into a LaDamian Tomlinson-type player, or convert him to WR fulltime where he belongs.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

it was vital in sean payton finally admitting his #1 pick is now 4th string running back and backup return guy.

and the offense rolls.

tough for a man to admit such a mistake but its finally happened.

undrafted guys such as pierre thomas are actual football players and light years better than reggie bust.

something everyone with eyeballs knew 2 years ago.

what a waste of money this dude turned out to be.

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I never seen anyone go so hard at Reggie Bush, but be so accurate at the sametime.....
    And he is getting snaps just to justify his weekly paychecks, other than that, he should be a special teams monster.

1 person likes this.
  6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I wish the Saints would commit Reggie to being a receiver like the Bears have done with Devin Hester.

They are one in the same type player.

Great special teamer. Can break it at any time. Needs space.

Reggie is a better receiver long term than Hester will ever be.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

if you consider fumbling half his punts and running backwards then out of bounds great, then yes.

brees could make hester an all-pro @ wr.

8. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

this

this

and this

9. downtown

downtown Founding Member

The Saints are the best team in the NFL...

He did have a big TD before half and he was also the play action fake on another TD in the 2nd half. So as little as he was in there, he did have some sort of impact. But yesterday, they didn't really need him. I think all they needed was Brees, Colston and the OL and they could have won. Our running game wasn't the big thing. PT did pretty good, but they basically shut down Bell. Our passing game was where it was at (the O-line obviously helped with that). Now...on to my Bush thesis:

I think Payton is finally realizing that the best thing to do with Bush is to run draw plays/shotgun runs with him. That's what he was best at in college and he's still good at that. He basically sucks on regular runs. Then you use him for play action and you use him as a receiver because he's always been good with that. You mix things up with him, you obviously don't use him as your primary back because he likes to dance too much and run out of bounds before hitting anyone. No, he will likely never earn the money the Saints paid to him (other than his first year).

However, I will say that given the situation the Saints were in when they drafted Bush, it was without a doubt the BEST thing they EVER could have done at the time. As a person from New Orleans and a Saints fan, the organization was DEAD after the season leading up to the Bush pick. Katrina hit and I remember going to the Saints game in Tiger Stadium with a fired up crowd only to see one of the most pathetic offensive showings you could imagine. When the season ended they were lucky if they had 30,000 fans there. Aaron "Keep on Smiling" Brooks was the QB and people couldn't stand watching him smile one more time after throwing a pick. Haslett had lost all coaching ability and control of the team and the Saints sucked in every way possible. People had lost their homes, the dome looked like it had been bombed on the inside and the outside, Tom Benson was being the biggest *ick in the world (pushing local reporters, etc.) and the Saints fans just didn't seem to care anymore. Also, those jackazzes in San Antonio were trying to grab the Saints while New Orleans was dealing with everything.

Then the Saints got rid or Brooks, Haslett and some others. That made people feel like they could at least stomach the Saints in the future. Then they hired a new coach and got Brees. That brought some excitement even though nobody knew much about the coach and nobody knew how effective Brees would be after two surgeries or whatever he had.

But when Houston drafted Williams and we got Bush, it changed everything. People went crazy. It went from nobody caring anymore...to having some excitement...to crazy anticipation. Getting Bush helped them break the season ticket sales record like four months before the season even started (I think they sold over 25,000 more season tickets than the year before which is basically astonishing given the situation). I remember being out when I heard that we might be able to get Bush and you could feel the excitement in the air.

Anyway, it was the best thing to do at the time and the right move. Bush was really good in that first year. He wasn't super in running the ball or anything, but he was great with receiving and throwing the D off. I mean, he accounted for over 1,500 yards in his 1st season. That was one of the most memorable seasons ever for the Saints and he was a big part of that. Drew Brees was unbelievable and SP did a great job in coaching that team. After that year, people started having expectations for the Saints and they still exist today.

Bush hasn't come close to living up to the hype, but he was what the Saints needed then. I know some will say we should have taken Mario Williams or whatever, but Houston hasn't sniffed the playoffs since he's been there. He's done really well for them and has been a better player at the Pro level than Bush. But it wasn't what we needed at the time. Without Bush, I don't think we would have made the playoffs that first year because teams paid so much attention to him. And we needed that playoff run like nobody else.

It's hard to believe he's been as ineffective running the ball as he has. I know I would have picked him because he was probably the most electrifying player I ever saw in college (and I was hoping his team would lose every week).

Anyway, I'll never really have anything bad to say about that pick...running him up the middle when not in the shotgun, yeah, but I don't think we'll be seeing much more of that. Bush will probably see just 10-13 touches running/receiving a game from now on (maybe not even quite that much). I think SP has seen the light.

10. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Exactly!!! The best part of the game plan was that it included very little Bush and instead focused on players that are producing. Bush should be moved to receiver and if he can't do better there just let his contract expire and wish him the best with his new team.