The "I've seen Star Wars Thread"

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUpride123, Dec 19, 2015.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Ditto - don't click the spoiler box.
    I HATE how Snoke went out. No backstory and for a powerful, all knowing, mind reading/controlling dark side force wielder, he went out like a bitch. (I don't think he's a Sith. Then again, we have no back story, so we don't know for sure.). As for Rey being no one, I'm not sure I believe Ren. Remember, they still connected through the force even after Snoke was dead. I think there's more to that story that will be revealed in the next movie. I hope so anyway

In other Star Wars related news, have you heard of a Boba Fett movie that's supposedly in development? Now THAT would be freakin awesome.

2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

My thoughts:

This was one of the best movies I have seen in some time. Rian Johnson did a much better job on the character depth than ol JJ did. Much better.

I felt like this movie was a good transition into "leaving" the past behind. I think Rian can take it to an entire new level.

Let me start with the only few negatives I had:
    • Some of the force powers were a bit too much and cringe. I have always felt that the best fantasy stories keep the magical/special element in check so that super-heroes and villains are not overly powerful and seem more human. The scene with princes Leia was a bit much IMO. I am just being nit-picky, but my trouble with this new series is not respecting the force enough. Secondly here, when Rey moves the rocks while basically laughing, I don't know, I just felt like when Luke and Yoda did things like that, they made a large emphasis on meditation and focus. ( This is why I am not too fond of the Marvel movies)
    • I am not particularly fond of the obvious failures of the First Order before they even happen. Would be nice if they made Kilo, or whoever on the first order to have some wisdom. Well, apparently Snoke was, but was not aware that Kilo could turn on a saber with his mind... You can basically tell when the little brat is going to have a melt down before he does and see right through the "buying more time" theme that has been used far too much in the first two movies. In any case, some of the failures of the First Order are too easy IMO. How do you have a massive fleet that is unable to chase down 1 cargo ship inside of "18" hours?
    • What I loved
    • We got more character development. I had always liked with what Rian did with Breaking Bad and hoped that he would be able to have the "light" and "dark" characters be not so black and white.
    • Apparently, Kilo is not a pussy after-all, just a confused Emo.
    • Some of the best parts of the movie were simply the sights and sounds before battle. I am really enjoying Kilo's character now. (I just hope Luke saying "you will carry me with you like Hon" isn't their easy escape. Kilo seems like a character that could last a while and grow if done right.
    • I got the sense Kilo "hopefully" has understood patiences. The last part where basically everything was an illusion to dupe him "should" of hit home. I am going to be upset if it doesn't.
    • I am still not overly fond of Rey and how her character was instant badass, but I am glad they toned her down a bit. It was subtle, but Kilo is clearly stronger. I think that is highly important in this grand movies.
    • Overall, Disney is doing a good job, but I will draw the line if they make a gay Jedi!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    fanatic likes this.
  3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I almost thought Rey and Kilo were ken. I mean, they made it a point to show Luke and Leia communicating like that again.

I agree, my biggest complaint with this new series is how easily defeated the "bad guys" are. Nothing like a damn Hobbit destroying evil, ya know?

fanatic likes this.
  4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Yea, there were a few points in the movie the force was disrespected.

5. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Snoke was a completely wasted character... he had no development whatsoever.

uscvball likes this.
  6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I’ve gone over what I thought was stupid. And I think that stuff was really fucking stupid. There are a ton of SW nerds protesting Disney to remove this movie from canon because of Luke’s downward spiral path. I didn’t have a problem with that at all, I thought it added to the complexity of the character. I don’t think he would have left Leia out there stranded for so long though, all because he was ashamed to look at her? Just not very Luke like but whatever not important. I also think it was kind of strange Leia and Rey and Han a movie ago were so willing to just take Kylo back even after he murdered millions with that Starkiller beam.

Now the part I really liked, and I mean I fucking loved it. It’s Rey. Luke was shocked by how easily Rey allowed herself to be subjected to the dark side, but Rey didn’t give a fuck. She knew she couldn’t be corrupted which is something we have never seen before. Even Jedi like Mace Windu, and Obi Wan, and Qui Gon, Yoda preached hardcore about not even giving the dark side a chance to corrupt you. But Rey seems like a character that can actually learn from the Dark Side to balance herself between light and dark. In order to know the light one must know the Dark and that’s a Sith idea, but Sith are easily corrupted by the power of the dark side. Rey doesn’t seem to be effected at all and that is fucking awesome.

You also gotta admit, that Leia shit was stupid and they should have just left her out in space. That would have been a shocking end to the character and while it would have pissed people off, i think it would have been awesome.

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

This movie sucked for the most part. In a nutshell it's galactic Disney princess and her handful of emasculated Disney dwarves. Where are the MEN in this movie? For that matter, where are the interesting, truly evil, charismatic, brave characters? Luke is a pussy! That was NOT Luke Skywalker. He got turned in to a brooding, moody, tittie milk-drinking, coward! Like Rey beat his ass in less than a couple minutes? "No, I'm not going....so THERE!" Geebus H Feist, that was bullshit.

Disney has ruined the franchise and turned it into a politically correct sackless couple of hours of celluloid. I'm still not sure why they killed Han last time. What was the purpose there? No Han, no Lando (Del Toro isn't it), an overemotional emo Vader-"ish" Kylo, a vacant Snoke who can't seem to notice the light saber moving to his right, and now Luke is killed off. What do we have left? The male characters in this movie were bitch-slapped, literally, appeared clueless, were called names. And in the ultimate waste of script, we have Holdo and Leia parting ways but agreeing that as women, they have everything they need to move on. Really? Without a man to make little Jedi's, the Resistance is going to be made up of international refugees. Political enough?

They wasted a potentially awesome character in Phasma. And I agree with LaSalle, that scene with Leia was so bad, I laughed out loud. As for Rey going for the immediate temptation....I'm good with that and it's definitely different but that scene under the water was a waste. Make it evil! Make it dark! If that's all she faced was a bunch of snapping self-images, that's not very scary and not very tempting. A more interesting idea might have been to evoke an Adam/Eve original sin scenario with Kylo and Rey and Snoke as the serpent......who then transforms into either Han or Luke. Of course Disney won't go there. And that's why this franchise is dead.

didit and LaSalleAve like this.
  8. LaSalleAve

Nailed it. Except for the part where you said the Franchise is dead. It will never die because people love Star Wars so much they will continue to throw money at the screen. Now us older cats, I don’t have a problem not putting another penny into this franchise. I will go see the last one but if it’s as bad as the last jedi, I’m hanging up my light saber.

You also made an interesting comment about the Rey dark side scene and after reading your comments I agree with you.

Sometimes I think your side mission in life is to open my mind. Thanks again :). Hope you and your daughter had a great Christmas

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Absolutely agree that it will continue as a money-maker....but the Star Wars concept as a theoretical franchise is dead. This thing here is officially a Disney franchised politically correct fantasy. Hell, even the bar scene that was so cool and filled with true miscreants in Mos Eisley has been replaced with uber riche plastique phonies from some futuristic Monte Carlo. Or maybe it's the Hollywood Hills, not sure yet.

Yeah....I'll give it one more shot.

I like Rey for the most part. She's the most developed character so far but the next episode, she needs to bring it.

Lol. Some things just piss me off. They announce the eradication of all leadership, reducing Admiral Ackbar's demise in to a 4-word pronouncement, and then proclaim Holdo as the obvious choice. Never heard of her. No character development AT ALL, calls Poe flyboy and then slaps him, and she had a shitty plan. Ackbar has been part of the story from the beginning. His character deserved better. I feel bad but Carrie Fisher did not age well and in the last 2 installments, she was not compelling or very likable and frankly, she's turned in to a bit of a coward as well. She risked life and limb to get Death Star plans to Obi-Wan via R2, repeatedly risked her life for Luke, Han, and the Rebellion but then.....demotes Poe for bravery? W...T...F? Prior to Disney, Poe would have been awarded the Order of the Big Schlong.

And Yoda....appears for 5 minutes to burn books. Just....shoot me. I also think they should have done more with Maz Kanata. She's an interesting character.

Anyway, random thoughts. And yes, my daughter, my son, and I had a great holiday. Hope you and your family did too!

10. LaSalleAve

Apologies didn’t know you had a son.

Looking back on the flick though, I think the part where Luke just tosses his father’s lightsaber over his shoulder should have let us know that Disney was basically saying fuck everything that happened previously, it doesn’t mean shit to us.

Ackbar got hosed, it also seemed like every scene with Finn was forced into some comic relief skit.

Carrie Fisher did look like shit and her acting was forced as well. She tried too hard to be the mature person in the films but it’s just not her character. And then that damn scene. Holy shit I looked at my daughter and said what the fuck did I just see? Why not kill her off there? She is still alive in the movie but won’t be in the last movie? Why not just 86 her in that blast. That would have been powerful.

All in all it seemed to me that the scenes without Rey, Ren, or Luke were shitty and then some of the scenes with those 3 were shitty too.