The Candidate (Coaching List to Replace O)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Brian, Oct 9, 2021.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Public university. If someone asks, they have to show it.

2. mctiger

Supposedly the issue was he got no NIL love here. Also supposedly, tOSU has told him they've already got some lined up for him. So that's what BK has to counter.

3. mctiger

He currently has a top 5 recruiting class. He has to recruit to a higher academic standard than most (or all) of the top football programs in the nation. And he's not exactly located in a hotbed state for football, so he recruits nationally. I think he will kill it at LSU.

TigerFan90, dachsie, Swerved and 6 others like this.
  4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

good summation from an Athletic article:

“But there’s also a belief around Baton Rouge that finally having a grown-up in the room will lift LSU to greater heights. That having a coach who knows how to fix problems and sustainably build a culture and keep things rolling in a way it never truly has.

Saban built it quickly but left before he could maintain it. The Miles era was an up-and-down rollercoaster with an outdated offense. The Orgeron era showed the greatest heights that could be reached as well as some significant lows. Nobody has ever really displayed what LSU can be when it’s steady.

Is Kelly that guy? We’ll see. But in terms of track record, he’s as sure of a bet of success as there is in coaching behind Saban.

It will be the hire of Woodward’s life and the one he’s judged by forever. And despite a chaotic six weeks, he got his guy.”

Hou-duco and mancha like this.
  5. Rex

Rex Founding Member

It's not difficult to recruit to Notre Dame. Never has been. For many years they had a national network all to themselves, and their academic reputation is a plus among recruits, not a negative.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  6. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Dude has what LSU needs right now, success and stability. LSU has had the success but with emotionally wrecked coaches it was not sustainable.

He has shown an adaptability in his offensive philosophy from a pass happy Cincy to a run oriented ND in his beginning years. When ND suffered a 4-8 season he was able to right that ship and get them into 2 playoff games.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  7. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Look at his past classes. He’s #4 now because of the number of players ND has committed and because his DC is an excellent recruiter. His class is basically full at ND and he’s almost tied with OSU at 16 recruits. And this is by far the best ranked class he has had in 10 years. He could certainly improve here, and I’ll give him a chance, but his history is not great at a blue blood school.

8. CaryLab

CaryLab Founding Member

I agree with everything you say but I also think it’s a product of where he was coaching. ND hasn’t had great recruits until this class due to Marcus Freeman. I think you’ll see different results with elite talent…assuming we get them

tzanghi likes this.
  9. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Then you are just more optimistic than me lol. Perhaps correctly so. Rationally, this is a great hire for at least 3-4 years. We should be 9-4 to 11-2 for a while. I just am worried we never make that next step to the championship.

10. CaryLab

CaryLab Founding Member

It’s a plus to those that can qualify

Winston1 and mctiger like this.