Tennessee's New Coach?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by pjnchamps, Jan 12, 2010.

1. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

I had the same thoughts earlier this evening: on the long run, it was certainly good for Tennessee to have the slimy balls roll away by themselves without any significant buyouts. They now need a coach whom the players can trust, and an all-hype type.

2. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Tennessee should be able to get a top-flight coach.

Whoever goes to Tennessee will get a multi-year contract worth over tens of millions of dollars... much more than are probably getting paid now.

Being the head coach at Tennessee, even right now, is one of the best jobs in the country. They brought in Top 10 recruiting classes for 3 of the last 4 years, including this one. Their 2007 class (the guys that will be true seniors/redshirt juniors next season) was #3 in the nation. They have a very prestigious football tradition, great facilities (including the largest stadium in the SEC), a lot of money (one of the top 10 most profitable football programs in the NCAA), etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

"I"m happy at Texas and plan to be here for a long time," Muschamp said.

5. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Texas defensive coordinator and head coach-in-waiting Will Muschamp will not accept the head coaching position at Tennessee, according to two sources with knowledge of the situation. Muschamp emerged Tuesday as the Vols' No. 1 choice to replace Lane Kiffin, who accepted the head coaching position at USC. [Wednesday, 9:36 a.m.]

InsideTexas.com - Sources: Muschamp to Tennessee? No

6. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

welcome to 45 minutes ago.

7. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

Some guy on Volnation is claiming Bobby Bowden is coming in, with sons.

8. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I saw it, but I saw that Vol fans weren't buying it. The comments below that first report said:

Interesting since it's being reported here that the Tennessee AD and his staff is in Austin right now to finalize the deal. Why no direct quotes from Muschamp yet?

Don't be Kool-Aid drinkers. Inside word says TN already signed him. He's just afraid of getting the Lane Kiffin treatment on the way out of town. Check the chartered jets for Austin to Knoxville itineraries.

Oh geez. He didn't say he wasn't going. They all say these thing

Fail. This is a blanket statement. TN has offered 5yr 15mil. He is sleeping on it and will talk with family. Book it. He will not turn this deal down.

HE may not have interviewed, but he may be communicating through his agent.... How wmany times have I heard "... plan to be here for a long time" and then withing 2 days the coach is gone...

Check his pedigree too. SEC is in his blood. He wouldn't even know what conference Texas is in if it weren't for coaching there. Welcome home Head Coach Muschamp.

If you look carefully at the statement, they called the spokesman earlier who didn't issue a direct statement from Muschamp...he simply stated that Will was happy, etc. and that there wasn't an interview...I would not be surprised if this is done by tommorow morning and UT (the real one) would have upgraded dramatically from Lame Kiffin.

Use your heads. No way this guy turns down at least $12MM in opportunity cost to wait behind Brown...AND, he could have to wait longer than 2016 (a la Bobby Bowden style).

It's called a non-denial denial. Phrases like "I plan" provide an easy escape route if it does happen so he's not technically a liar. I'm a neutral here so don't care one way or the other. But this is anything BUT a denial. I denial is, "I'm going to coach for the Longhorns next year, period."

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

10. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Muschamp is not completely dead but on life support.

Tennessee is hearing a lot of "no thanks".

Hamilton was in Dallas yesterday and only traveling with one associate director.

Hamilton is changing charters/planes to throw off flight tracking.

Tennessee's options where reduced to the "B" candidates quicker than Kiffin took the USC job. They will take another run at "A" list candidates with more money/security before hiring a "B" candidate.

Their "B" list is overwhelmingly uninspiring including making the current interim a permanent interim coach.

Fulmer is pushing his trustee supporters hard to get involved one way or another. If he cant come back as coach he wants David Cutcliff. This would amount to Fulmer II in the anti Fulmer group and they are vehemently opposed to that.

The Air Force coach is a possibility but trustee's are not enamored. He was on Hamilton's "A" list but he is not on the trustee's "A" list.

Tennessee is being humbled in the process and finding out how bad a time it is to be looking for a head coach. They are hearing "if it was another time I would listen".

Hamilton is being jerked around like a rag doll. Every trustee, boosters & supporter wants his ear. Nobody is in charge. The current President is an interim caretaker type with no ability to rally the power base. Its a mess with the Fulmer gang pushing as hard as the anti-Fulmer group pulling. The AD is in the anti-Fulmer group.