Tennessee's New Coach?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by pjnchamps, Jan 12, 2010.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

[​IMG]

Missed It By That Much!!!!

2. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

"Chocolate donut, glazed donut, jelly donut ...."

3. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I told you Cutcliffe wasnt a done deal. Huge struggle going on with the power brokers. This is a true Hatfield's vs McCoy's battle on rocky flop right now. The only thing I know is they are back at square one looking for a compromise candidate who will satisfy both sides.

4. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

USC had a good idea PC would be leaving and had several candidates decline before settling for Kiffen. Even so, I didn't hear ESPN asking why USC was having trouble finding a new coach.

Tennessee gets completely caught off guard and now ESPN questions why they're having so much trouble replacing Kiffen. They make it sound like they've been trying for a month.

Tennessee was screwed but this is a temporary setback. Keeping Kiffen would've resulted in a long term cancer for the program.

5. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

This close to signing day (and with several players coming in this weekend) I would think they want to see a little stability - give the job to Kippy Brown (at least for now) and keep the other assistants the Lane left.
    All this "news" that so called reporters are putting out there is very unfair to the school and players and is not helping the program. They need to put it to bed for now.
    :eek:ldskule:

6. LesMilesFan

LesMilesFan Founding Member

What if Tennessee has to reach out to Phulmer when nobody else wants the job? Does Chavis consider returning too?

7. DRC

DRC TigerNator

This is probably what Tennessee should do but there are too many unrealistic power brokers to accept a Kippy Brown as Tennessee's head coach. Kippy Brown only gets the job if all else fails based on what I'm hearing.

There is a huge push for something to get resolved today. The group that was behind Fulmer getting axed want it resolved ASAP and right now they have a slight upper hand on the old guard. What happened with Cutcliffe knocked the old guard down a few notches and gave the anti-Fulmer group a "told ya so" rebuttal.

Whatever happens the power broker base is already fractured. The Trustee's are split between big money old guard and younger new blood who have the numbers but not the power/money/history of program support. Its interesting to watch and something I hope we never go through. If the power brokers are split the fan base is going to be split and that cant be good for any program.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

this is exactly why i dont like seeing boosters get so much power. im not naive enough to think that kind of money doesnt have influence, but at some point an ad has to have the cajones to keep the power inside the program and not give it away.

9. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

But that is the problem. That AD at Tenn is wounded and does not have the backing to fend off the sharks.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

it has been fulmer/anti-fulmer for a while. but the ad shot himself in the foot by hiring kitten. but it appears (imo) that power was being given away before that hire.

but the ad just flat out made a bad hire for the program. also imo, the school needs to dump him, bring in someone completely neutral and with cajones, and get the ship righted telling all parties he is in charge. they need a strong neutral personality or it is going to fracture worse.