Tennessee's New Coach?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by pjnchamps, Jan 12, 2010.

1. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Question: If it was a violation of NCAA recruiting rules for Coach O to contact the early enrollee UT recruits on behalf of USC while Kiffin was annoucing to the team that he was leaving to go to USC, which school committed the violation and receives the penalty that goes along with it? At the time I'm not sure if Coach O had formally resigned as an employee of UT but he certainly wasn't an employee of USC even if he was acting on its behalf. I guess he would be considered as an agent of USC or "associated" with it in light of the fact that he was following Kiffin there. It should be fairly easy to verify who he was calling if he was using a UT issued cell phone, the bill will show the number, time and length of the call. To quote Randy Newman from "A Wedding In Cherokee County" : "What a slimy old bastard ..."

2. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Friend is telling me its going to be Cutcliffe

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I can't think of a better reason for him to stay put. Moving a sick child and starting all over with new doctors would be unduly stressful.

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Possible Answer On Whether It Was A Violation:"But definitely not cool -- and against the rules to boot -- is calling players enrolled at your current school to recruit them to your new school. According to GVX:

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said rules stipulate that "An institution cannot contact a student-athlete enrolled at another institution without permission from the current school. A currently enrolled student-athlete who transfers must sit out a year before becoming eligible to compete. An enrolled student-athlete is one who is officially registered and enrolled in a minimum, full-time program of studies in any quarter or semester of an academic year, as certified by the registrar or admissions office, provided the student was present at the institution on the opening day of classes."

You see, Orgeron did that, too. Oh, he hasn't yet admitted it, saying he "[wasn't] going to get into it." Oh, yes you are, Coach, because we have evidence.

Again, according to GVX, Jeff Bray said his son, Tyler Bray, was in a room Tuesday when Orgeron offered USC scholarships to a group of players enrolled at Tennessee via speaker phone. Apparently, a bunch of the players responded to Orgeron with anger. Good for them."

Ed Orgeron admits calling Tennessee recruits andenrollees - Rocky Top Talk

5. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Cutcliffe is not done yet. Big political struggle going on with the power brokers. If he is hired Fulmer will have pulled off a major coup. In doing so he chops Hamilton's legs out from underneath him. Cutcliffe was never on Hamilton's list in any form whatsoever. They hate each other.

Everyone mentioned prior has said "no thanks". Not as much to Tenn but more to do with timing. None of the perceived top tier head coaches want to stain their reputation by leaving this late and Muschamp just doesnt like the Tennessee job at any price.

6. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

What a mess. Lane Kiffen really screwed UT.
    Or Pete Carroll did because some school was going to get hosed due to timing. Face USC is a top 5 job in the Nation. California, recruiting, you name it. They were going to get a premier coach. Kiffen is a rube and a give up for them, had they written off this years recruiting class and took their time, there is NO reason they could not have made a run at Saban, Stoops, types of the world.

7. pjnchamps

Kippy Brown is scheduled to interview tomorrow morning.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

sounds like everything there comes down to fulmer/anti-fulmer. hell all parties could like a candidate but as soon as one party found out the other did too, then they wouldnt after all.
    :rolleye33:

9. DRC

DRC TigerNator

He interviewed yesterday afternoon.

10. pjnchamps

oh my bad joe schad on ESPN said it I probably heard wrong...imo if they hire him they couldn't find anyone else