Tennessee's New Coach?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by pjnchamps, Jan 12, 2010.

1. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

He looks like a hell of a football coach. He's only like 41 years old and he already has some impressive career coaching highlights:

--As OC of Ohio U, his offense set a school record (418.1 ypg)

--As OC of Wake Forest, their offense was #1 in the ACC (408.1 ypg).

--Spent 6 years as a coach in the NFL, including as OC of the Houston Texans.

Most impressive is what he has done as a head coach:

He took over as head coach of AF in 2007 and turned that program around:

2004 -- 5-6
    2005 -- 4-7
    2006 -- 4-8
    2007 -- 9-4 (beat Gary Patterson's TCU, Kyle Whittingham's Utah and Weis' ND)
    2008 -- 8-5 (beat Kevin Sumlin's Houston)
    2009 -- 8-5 (beat Kevin Sumlin's Houston)

2. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Thats impressive. Prior to today, I didn't know much about him. He may be just what the doctor ordered for UT. Better not come sniffing around for Chavis though !

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

According to the latest news Calhoun is not leaving AFA.

So I guess its back to the drawing board...

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Alright, we can't come to a consensus so we're gonna have to wrestle until somebody gets pinned. No eye gouging, choking, or groin shots. Absolutely no fish hooking or any variations of fish hooking (ie San Francisco fish hook). May the best man win!

5. HatcherTiger

ESPN is reporting a two horse race between Cutcliffe and Calhoun with two dark horses namely Derek Dooley and Kevin Steele:

Tennessee Volunteers' search focused on David Cutcliffe, sources say - ESPN

Calhoun could be calling a team meeting to end the speculation and let everyone know he's staying. I'm sure an AD's job when hiring a new was HC was much easier b4 the internet.

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Here's a release from the Academy saying Calhoun is staying.

Calhoun to remain at Air Force

7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Recruiting: slight advantage to Texas but not much. Texas is at least a top 5 place for recruiting, Tenn is Top 10 (at least top 15). Also consider that Tenn is in the SEC and a lot of recruits would rather play in the #1 prime-time conference.

Recruiting violations:
    maybe a slight advantage to Texas. There were newspaper reports last year about all Texas' recruiting violations with throwing girls at the recruits, wild parties, etc... and they didn't get in trouble, so don't see why it would be any different for Tennessee.

Much better place to live: maybe a slight advantage to Austin because I've been there and liked it, but I haven't been to Knoxville. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a great place to live as well. Isn't Knoxville by the mountains and hills and up where the trees turn beautiful colors in the fall? Austin doesn't have any of that.

Superior academics: hard to say who has the advantage. They are both great schools (Texas ranked #15 top public school, Tenn ranked #52). Could be that players would rather go to the easier school so they can concentrate more on football instead of getting their butts kicked in class and with homework.

Easier conference: hard to say who has the advantage. Look at all the great coaches that have gone to the SEC compared to great coaches that have gone to the Big 12. Like recruits want to play in the prime-time #1 conference, coaches feel that same itch.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i cant help but wonder if part of the problem is not just kitten left and when, but that he left a program in such turmoil. and questions surrounding it regarding recruiting while he was there. wondering if people that might have taken the job (and the money they will throw at someone) otherwise, but are worried about what might come to light.

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Don't see that as a problem. Like I said above, Bama didn't get in any trouble for their scandal and FSU's cheating scandal only cost them 6 scholarships.

I'd say the problem is that Muschamp has a really good contract with Texas guaranteeing that he will be take over as Texas coach and will be paid like $4-$5 million/year when he does.

I'd say that Calhoun's problem is that he is a USAF Academy grad and wants to stay at his school.

10. HatcherTiger