Superstitions

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I doubt if any Cajun grandma ever said that. Just an unsubstantiated rumor

2. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

Throw in the fact that they charge a couple of bucks for what the jarheads claim is just oil and flour and there is no way. I threw a half dozen pennies in the burn barrel one summer and my grandfather who lived through the depression had them for me the next time we saw them. Pretty good lesson for a twelve year old I can tell you.

red55 and HalloweenRun like this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Saw a story the other day where a guy who had been saving pennies for years cashed them in for over $5000. Took the bank's coin counting machine over 4 hours to count them all.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yeah he was from around here i think, 500,000 pennies in water jugs

5. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Not to mention the gumbo's always better next day after proper aging on the back porch.

shane0911 likes this.
  6. furduknfish

Mine did, but not Pawpaw. He was a stickler.

shane0911 likes this.
  7. fnzen

fnzen Founding Member

Well my Mom (83) calls it "cheater" and you know what, it works ..actually she really likes to bake the flour in the oven for a "greaseless roux" gumbo .....that is so good in seafood gumbo

I still make a dark chocolate roux when I have a long weekend that my whole family even Mom gives a thumbs up!

Back to game day superstition I make gumbo or jambalaya..I use sausage from Rabideaux that I bring back to Cali every year and this year Ive been wearing just a grey LSU t shirt

Tiger Exile likes this.
  8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Oh I agree almost 100%. However many real chefs find the best techniques, resources, teachers, etc. I learned most of my methods from an 80 year old black Chef named Muse Benjamin. Most of the other things I cook I learned from chefs, mom's, grandma's and the occasional Louisiana dad (especially wild game).

My gumbo recipes were formulated from several different people who I happened to admire. Get to their "secrets" and you can make some heavenly dishes.

By the way, my son is also an up and coming chef and I can tell you the cooking world has changed 100 fold the past two decades, you had better be spot on in this new ultra competitive world if you are planning on opening up a great & successful restaurant. Casey has Stoged(sp?) at more than 50 restaurants in New Orleans and across the south and his knowledge base is incredible and he is only 27. He currently works for Donald Link and his learning curve is off the charts.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

The jar roux's all give off a bitter, unpleasant taste and odor that ruins the food in my opinion.

Bengal B likes this.
  10. furduknfish

Probably make your own ketchup because the store bought stuff doesn't have enough real tomatoes. The market for store bought roux is small. If someone were doing a shit job, wouldn't last long.

cajdav1 and shane0911 like this.