Super Sonics and Storm sold to OKC group

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by OkieTigerTK, Jul 18, 2006.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

The group reportedly includes Aubrey McClendon, CEO of Chesapeake Energy (and founder of CHK); Tom Ward, co-founder of Chesapeake; Cliff Hudson, CEO of Sonic Drive Ins; and someone else that I can't remember who the news said.

The new ownership group has committed to keeping the teams in Seattle for one year while they negotiate on a new arena. Considering the Seattle group couldn't get a new arena, I don't see the new ownership group getting one. If they don't, they in a year they can move the teams to OKC.

Considering that the Hornets will only be in OKC one more season, that is a pretty convenient timeline.

2. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Sweet, so now we know that the Hornets will be coming back to New Orleans.

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Until they realize that NOLA didn't support them, PRE-Katrina.

4. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

It'll take a little while, but with the team being so young and on the rise and the fact that we have a Rookie of the Year leading the way, I think the city will come around.

Honestly, I think its going to be the Saints and the Hornets that have a big role in helping the city get back on its feet.

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

How? And I'm not being sarcastic here.

6. tigerleg24

tigerleg24 Guest

I think the Hornets just became the big free agent that everybody wants. City's looking for an NBA team will be throwing everything and anything at Mr. George Shinn.

7. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I just think it gives everyone something to rally around, especially if the teams are successful. Not to mention that having two successful professional sports teams could help bring business back to the city. It won't happen overnight, but I think it would just help in bringing the city back.