Steve McNair Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Crip*TEAM KATT, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

If McNair wins a Super Bowl with the Ravens would this assure his place in the Hall of Fame?

2. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

That's a good question. I think so. He's been one of the more respectable QBs in the league for the past, what, ten years? Not bad for a guy who came out of Alcorn State. I think he's going to do just fine with the Ravens. Frankly, I think he needed a change of scenery, even though I don't really approve of the way the Titans handled the situation. Whether you want to go in a new direction or not, you don't treat the QB who led the resurgence of a dull franchise, brought them to the Super Bowl (and within one yard of the win) and won the MVP a few years ago, the way they did. Best of luck to him.

3. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

Interesting question. McNair's projected career stats per ESPN.com:
    27,322 yards
    157 TDS
    QB rating of 83.3
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3114
    Compare that to the last 5 Quarterbacks inducted into the Hall of Fame (I'm bored and at work here):
    Troy Aikman 32,942 yards 165 TDS 81.6 rating
    Warren Moon 49,325 yards 291 TDS (NFL only)
    Steve Young 33,124 yards 232 TDS 96.8 rating (NFL only)
    Dan Marino no stats needed; owns most major passing records
    John Elway 51,475 yards 334 TDS

McNair compares favorably to Aikman but Aikman has three Superbowl rings. The argument could be made McNair has accumulated his stats with a less talented team throughout his career. Personally, I'd say he is in but he is not going to make it on the first ballot.

4. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

Sadly, I think it would. Don't get me wrong, I really like McNair. But, it would just be another example of how diluted the Hall is getting. Bill Simmons has a really good article this week on just that subject. McNair seems to be a good guy and has had a nice career, but I don't think many people really consider him to be one the elite QB's of his generation. He had one outstanding season when he split the MVP. IMO, unless he absolutely dominates in Baltimore for the next few years, he doesn't deserve to get in.

Here is the link to the Simmons article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060913

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I agree completely. He's had a nice career, he'll be remembered fondly, and not in Canton.

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

He's like Boomer Esiason. Good but not great numbers. Good but not great career. Both players were always overshadowed by other QBs in the league.
    Both guys came up just short in their one Super Bowl appearance. Esiason has better career numbers, but no one is really argueing that he should be in.

Boomer: 37,920 yards, 247 TD, 57% completion, 81.1 passer rating
    McNair: 27,322 yards, 157 TD, 59% completion, 83.3 passer rating

Boomer played in 44 more games than McNair meanin if McNair has 240.86 yards and 2 TDs per game (over 44 games) they would be dead even.