News Stephan Hawking Declares There is No God

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Sep 26, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I always thought the crusades were just a big land/relic grab started by the Catholic Church.

2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Red you're a thousand years removed from the scene and with no prospective of what those who were in the time believed. History tries to understand what motivated people to act. It is well documented that the crusades were begun as a defense against Arab and Turk aggression, first in Spain then in the Holy Land. Your passing judgement from a thousand years distant is meaningless

3. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

The federal government can not stop anyone from praying or professing their faith at any state, local, or even federal event.the so called separation of church and state is bullshit.
    When the local high school holds a prayer before the football game it's protected by the 1st Amendment. Same with the local mayors meeting starting with a prayer or the president taking the oath of office with his hand on the Bible. Same goes if I choose not to place my hand on the Bible when called to witness in a court of law.
    It's my choice if I do and my choice if I choose not too.

http://blaineamendments.org/Intro/whatis.html

4. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

I find it hard to believe that an atheist and an evolutionist don't believe in alien life. What are the odds of us being the only life in the trillions of planets in the universe? At least a 1,000,000,000,000 to 1 if not more.

Bengal B likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Even if those are the odds there's quadrillions times quintillions more stars and planets than that

gyver likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

And yours is somehow significant? It's revisionist history. Live with it.

7. red55

Neither can they require prayer at public meetings.

No, it's Constitutional and very real.

8. red55

I find it hard to believe that you don't understand the difference between belief based on "odds" and knowledge based on evidence.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

An infintesimally low percentage of "wild guesses" will turn out to be on the money against huge mathmatical odds. I've guess an exact score wrong a lot more than I've guessed right.
    But I have gotten exact scores right on occasion. The difference between those times and the one I mentioned was that usually if asked to name a score I will think about it for at least a second or two before I answer. The guess of Florida 58- LSU 3 was totally off the wall with no thought whatsoever. I answered instantly without any thought at all. It wasn't even a plausible rational answer because even thought Florida was the favorite the point spread was way closer than what happened. I believe it was an instant of clairvoyance.

Of couse, there is no scientific evidence of otherworldly life. But do you, as a scientist and a logical thinker doubt that some form of life exists somewhere given the astronomical odds that it would. For you to believe that we are the only intelligent beings would require a belief that we were created by a God and He created us and only us

10. red55

I believe it was random coincidence, which is a mathematically valid solution.

Of course not. There is all likelihood that there is. The concept you were supposed to grasp is that even well-reasoned faith in probabilities does not constitute evidence-based knowledge. Both are useful and they are not mutually exclusive.

Please do not attempt to imagine what I believe if you are going to strike out this badly.