News Stephan Hawking Declares There is No God

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

The point is very straight forward Red. Without believers there would be no disbelievers. Therefore, like I originally stated and you called "absurd", Atheists are a result of Believers, and therefore follow the same failed thinking. Atheists state that they do not believe in God but their disbelief is rooted in the fact that someone else first believed and now they, the Atheists, disagree. Without a believer saying, "I believe in X," there would be no cause for a disbeliever.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There would still be people who don't believe in imaginary things, it would just not be an issue.

And this is still absurd. What is "failed" about disagreeing with somebody? Especially if that somebody has no evidence? I would call that logical.

This assumes that disbelievers in God have a "cause". Perhaps they just disbelieve in all imaginary things.

3. Tiger in NC

I hear what you are saying Red, but let's replace God with Unicorns. I do not believe in Unicorns. I am assuming that you don't either. That said, would I even have the urge to say as much if someone had not first made up this mythical creature? Of course not, it just wouldn't be an issue at all. Same holds true with believing, or not, in God.

By "failed" I mean that they are engaging in disagreement about something that they also lack evidence of. An Atheist can no more disprove God than a believer can prove it, so the act itself is flawed. Now, you and I both know for certain that Unicorns do not exist....at least not here on earth. That said, we lack evidence to say definitively that God does not exist. Nor have we proof that God does exist. So it's not exactly correct to call this "God" an imaginary thing since we have no proof to the contrary. Unicorns, however, are imaginary.

4. red55

Yet people believe in them. Imagine that. If you cannot see the equivalence, I am speechless.

Well . . . probably not speechless . . .

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

@red. Someone created you dude! Creation is a fact along with evolution!

6. red55

Why would you imagine that?

LSUpride123 likes this.
  7. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

You have it backwards. We're all born atheists. Just like no one is born racist; It's a learned behavior. It's not until later that we're brainwashed with ideas of religion.

8. Tiger in NC

I disagree. We are not born atheists. In fact it is impossible to be born an atheist. As I have been arguing with Red, one would first need a knowledge of belief before determining whether to believe or not. A better statement would be that we are all born agnostics because we aren't born with the knowledge either way.

red55 likes this.
  9. Tiger in NC

Yes, people believe in them but without those believers there would be no need for someone else to disagree. If you cannot see the cause and effect relationship between these two then I will join you in speechlessness and we can be speechless together.

You are never speechless Red.....pump that sunshine all you like but I ain't buyin' Amigo

10. red55

So how exactly does anyone "fail" by not believing in imaginary things? This is the absurdity of your argument. I understand that that there must be a "pro" position if there is to be a "con" position, that is obvious. I just don't understand why you think this is significant. And I have no idea why a persons logical position to believe in reality somehow "shares the failure" of those who believe in unicorns.