News Stephan Hawking Declares There is No God

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Stephen Hawking makes it clear: There is no God
    The physicist explains that science now offers more convincing explanations for existence. He is therefore an atheist.

If I were a scientist, I'd stick to the Goldman Sachs principle: bet on both sides.

"Believe in science, believe in God" seems to cover all the possibilities and gives you the best chance for a cheery afterlife.

For a time, it was thought that astrophysicist Stephen Hawking had also left a tiny gap in his credo window for a magical deity. However, he has now come out and declared that there is no God.

He gave an interview to Spain's El Mundo in which he expressed his firm belief that el mundo was the work of scientifically explainable phenomena, not of a supreme being.

Hawking said: "Before we understand science, it is natural to believe that God created the universe. But now science offers a more convincing explanation."

I'm not sure whether there was a specific moment in which science overtook the deistic explanation of existence. However, El Mundo pressed him on the suggestion in "A Brief History of Time" that a unifying theory of science would help mankind "know the mind of God."

Hawking now explained: "What I meant by 'we would know the mind of God' is, we would know everything that God would know, if there were a God. Which there isn't. I'm an atheist."

He added: "Religion believes in miracles, but these aren't compatible with science."

Perhaps. But some look at, for example, the human eye and wonder how that exciting ball of jelly could have come about scientifically.

Hawking's been tending toward such an absolute pronouncement for a while. In a speech last year, he offered an explanation of how the world came to being without God. He mused: "What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing hell for people who asked such questions?"

I do worry, though, about Hawking's sweetly divine faith in humanity. He told El Mundo: "In my opinion, there is no aspect of reality beyond the reach of the human mind."

If that's true, the human mind still has to develop exponentially to explain everyday phenomena, such as social networking. And then there's Hawking's insistence that his speech synthesizer, which gives him a curiously American accent, has had this consequence: "With the American accent, I've had far more success with women."

We definitely need some serious research to explain that.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Two way to look at things I suppose. If I only saw this.....
    [​IMG]

I might agree. But then even with that condition, he was blessed with this.....

[​IMG]

Perspective Brother Hawking. You are missing some.

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

What does Hawkings condition and ex-wife have to do with his disbelief in God? I ask in all seriousness.

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

My point was about perspective. The man is brilliant and yet physically entrapped by the limitations of an awful disease. I suppose that might make one question the existence of God.

And yet he was taken in faith and marriage by two physically capable women. What a gift! But the arrogant bastard managed to eff that up too. Seems even a wheelchair-bound scientist can be a cheating self-centered s.o.b.

He is so busy extolling the virtues of science that he has little time for anything else. He declares there is no afterlife and yet there are plenty of scientific folks who have had near-death experiences who would argue with him. And for all his brilliance, has he found a way to prove that God does not exist? No. He just dismisses philosophers and believers out of hand.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

What a shock! He's human. Have you never effed up a relationship?

Not scientific arguments. What scientist has argued with Hawking about this?

As you also dismiss his scientific reasoning. To each his own. Science cannot disprove faith and faith cannot disprove science. Hawking is entitled to his scientific opinions without ridicule of his handicaps and his love life.

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Perspective. It was a theoretical argument. And no, I have not cheated on a partner or spouse.

Scientific arguments are not the be-all end-all. I have no idea if any have. But it's not hard to find stories if you really want to read or learn about it.

I never said he wasn't entitled to his opinion, did I? And I didn't ridicule his disease, far from it. He deserves criticism of the way he handled his marriages. He said so himself.

And actually, his reasoning regarding atheism is completely non-scientific.

"Hawking regarded the concept of Heaven as a myth, believing that there is "no heaven or afterlife" and that such a notion was a "fairy story for people afraid of the dark." In 2011, when narrating the first episode of the American television series Curiosity on the Discovery Channel, Hawking declared:

We are each free to believe what we want and it is my view that the simplest explanation is there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization. There is probably no heaven, and no afterlife either"

Where in that is there any science? There isn't any, it's all his personal belief. He truly is arrogant, wheelchair or not.

7. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

God gave man science. If God wanted to be found he would be.

red55 likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think he right on the money.

MLUTiger likes this.
  9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

If you die before me, i'll do work for you so you can bask in the glorious kingdom. There's no nugs in hell.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

No pot either

shane0911 and GregLSU like this.