So JaMarcus Russsell looks terrible...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by DwayneBowned, Sep 28, 2009.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i was a big time supporter of Jamarcus while at LSU, and even though now he is hollywood, and fat, and doesn't give a damn, and photographic train wreck, the Raiders Organization is in shambles, come to find out, Tom Cable did break that assistant coaches jaw, at least that is what he is saying. I honestly believe they should force Al Davis to sell the Raiders. Who would want to play there? Who can take it seriously?

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports-headlines/ci_13441155

2. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Not to make this race issue, but unfortunately, a lot of black kids growing up poor never learn the value of a dollar, so as soon as they get it they blow it on (im)material things instead of investing. Years of generational poverty with little means of digging out and no accountability for self. It's okay to buy nice things when you're making millions, but you can buy nice things and still save money. Case in point, two Bastrop natives. One played in the NFL for a few years, even started a couple years, has nothing to show for it now except a house in Bastrop that isn't worth what he paid for it because his mother didn't maintain it. The other never made it beyond a practice squad and arena leagues, but because of values, years later, he STILL has NFL money left.

I'm not making millions, but I'm fortunate my parents instilled those values in me despite the conditions surrounding us growing up.

Unless he makes some changes, I don't see him maintaining his wealth after football. Listening to him this season, he still sounds like the kid who left LSU a few years ago who obviously wasnt' very bright. But I know we all had...and still have high hopes for him.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Don't worry, it isn't a race issue. I have white family in rural north Louisiana that came from nothing and achieved great success. One lives retired in a mansion in the woods. The other lives bankrupt in a trailer behind his daughters house and totally dependent on her.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Actually the SI study that shows 75% of NFL players and 60% of NBA players going bankrupt also looked at race and there was no variance in percentage between white and black players. The most common cause of bankruptcy was not bling bling, but in general pro jocks make dumb investments in businesses they no nothing about.

Also I really don't see how you can bash JR based on his performance at LSU. He got better every year and improved greatly within years. He was put into a situation in Oakland where it is impossible for him to succeed. Three coaches and three playbooks in three years coupled with the worst receiving corps in the league and a terrible O line will spell doom for any QB.

5. asignupe99

Thanks Red. That's why I didn't want anyone to think I was making it a race issue because I know that problem is far from exclusive to black people.

6. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

You're right it was Mauck.

I've gotta go with Red here. It's not a race issue. I work with lots of poor people who, for whatever reason, occasionally come into significant sums of money. I'd say about 75% of them end up blowing the dough and are back in the position they were in before getting the money. And race, in my experience, turns out be a really unreliable indicator of who will do something with the money and who will blow it.

:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige

7. asignupe99

And I'd bet the majority of those investments were on advice from friends and family hoping to make a buck instead of just asking for money. And thanks for the input.

He's in a horrible situation but it's on him now. Even with the horrible situation, there's noone in the organization to blame for his conditioning and preparation but him...unless Al Davis planted JR a cheeseburger tree at his residence. I understand playbook issues with it being a first year coach, but his receivers arent' that bad this year. They're getting open consistently, he's just making horrible throws. I did not know Louis Murphy was that good. He's better mechanically than their first pick, Heyward-Bey.

8. asignupe99

That's why I specified it's not a race issue. I was speaking from my experience dealing with my community and the things "we" tend to value. I wholeheartedly agree with you!

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I agree with you, but let me say that Fisher, and Crowton played to Russell's strengths, which were the slant, the bubble screen, the in routes, and go routes. He also had alot of trouble here with staring down his receiver, and not being able to read defense at the line. He turned the ball over alot, but he was good enough to bring us back. I would really like to see what he can do if he got a solid qb coach, and decided that he was going to work his ass off at being a great quarterback.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I want a cheeseburger tree!

1 person likes this.