Saints special teams

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Sep 26, 2006.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Not sure how many of you remember the Saints of the late 80s and early 90s, the best of the Mora years, but the Saints were hands down the best special teams in all of football. We blocked punts, extra points, field goals so many times during those years.

This team is starting to resemble that. I love it. Saints special teams regarding blocking punts/kicks have been pretty much non-existent the past 10-12 seasons. Nice to see it back.

2. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

The one thing that is missing is #25 back there returning kicks. Good Ole Fred Mc

3. islstl

Fred McAfee...one of the unheralded yet extremely important "do whatever it takes to win" kinda guys....gotta love him

4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

i think the average starting field position for atlanta was quite good in the game (at least the first half), and that stat has to be considered in analyzing the special teams effectiveness.

in fact, throughout the first half they started at their 40 on average. so outside of carney's brilliant performance and the blocked punt, I give the unit a B.

5. islstl

true that part of the game was a bit lacking.....but my original thread was alluding to the fact that we haven't seen an IMPACT kinda special teams since the late 80s/early 90s Saints teams