Saints Free Agency Priority

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Feb 17, 2009.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Re: Free Agency-Saints Priority

Can you unquote that PJ?

Hard to get through a thread with long ass posts back to back.

Thanks.

On the issue with Cato June, not sure if he is a real answer to our problem at OLB. He is marginal at best.

Benson or Bush might be a decent answer at RB. We just need a bruiser and Benson may flourish under this system.

I think Payton wants a RB who can catch out of the backfield. Not sure if either of those are good at it.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

nola.com says Bartell re-signed with the Rams.

3. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Would have been nice to pull him in, but I don't think we could afford him. As much upside as he is, I think he demands way more money than he should at this point. Running out of good options though. Greer from Buffalo and Bodden from Detroit look like the next best two.

4. mctiger

nola now says Shawn Springs will visit. On both he and Sharper, I would say if the thinking is that you can get these two on the cheap, since they are older guys, then go for it. Both would upgrade their positions for a year or two while younger talent is drafted and developed. But what do you do at CB? They've spent a lot of money over the last 3 years bringing in David and Gay, and re-signing McKenzie. Add in Porter and Young, and you've got a ton invested in the position. My guess is, if they sign Springs, David's gone, and they look to restructure with McKenzie. Have to be very careful with that move, because you don't want to end up paying Springs more than Mac.

1 person likes this.
  5. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I would like to see us pick up Sharper. Springs I'm not so sure on, because I think it's harder to play CB as you age than it is to play FS. However, if he's got a couple of years in him and he can be gotten cheap, I'm for it.

Speaking of having a couple of years left in him, I wouldn't mind seeing the Saints go after Derrick Brooks. Think he would love playing for a division rival, regardless of how much he underplayed his being cut from Tampa.

6. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

I think if we could sign Darren Sharper, Dre Bly and maybe Shawn Springs they would definitely improve our secondary/depth and also that veteran leadership plus giving the younger players someone to learn from. Should be able to sign these players to affordable contracts maybe around 3 year deals

7. mctiger

According to the "insiders" the CB flavor of the day is Jabari Greer. But he's a younger guy, and that brings me back to my thoughts yesterday about the money we've spent on CB's in the last 3 years.

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I am hearing if we don't land Sharper, Gerald Sensabaugh out of Jacksonville is our next option. However, he has off the field problems.

9. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Saints have resigned Devery Henderson and FA CB Jabari Greer

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2009/3/Saints Agree to Terms with CB Jabari Greer.aspx

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2009/03/new_orleans_saints_resign_rece.html

10. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Yet again the Saints sign an "up n comer" at the DB position.

Let's hope 100 times is a charm.

Ive been a fan long enough to not get excited and just wait and see how this one pans out.