Saints fans......

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Dec 10, 2009.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Ok the Drew Brees on Leno thing last night has already been brought up, and Drew had to name as many cajun dishes he can in 15 seconds and did pretty good. Drew is probably the most important Saints player in the history of the franchise, and i started thinking about how professional sports teams like to just discard legends when they are past their prime. So my question is.....

Would you be ok with Brees quarterbacking this team until he retires, even if he retires way past his prime? If Brees is stinking up the joint, being that he has done so much for the city of New Orleans, and state of Louisiana, and done so much for the Saints, and their fans, would you still want him to be a Saint until he feels like he has had enough?

Me personally, i think Drew needs to retire a Saint. I don't think i have ever had as much respect for a professional athlete in my entire life, and i really don't ever want to see him in anything other than Black and Gold, even if he drops way off.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Good question. Absolutely, but that doesn't mean he has to continue to be the starting quarterback if he's stinking up the joint. The question becomes, will he accept a lesser role on the team as (if) his skills diminish?

On the other hand, when you look at what makes Brees a great QB, you talk about smarts, accuracy, toughness, leadership and work ethic. Those are not physical attributes that deteriorate. Its not like he throws the ball a mile like Favre or runs away from trouble like Vick (or through it like McNair). Provided he doesn't lose his touch or suffer a major knee or shoulder injury, its not far-fetched to imagine him playing at a high level into his late 30's.

3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I would hope that if he stays that long, they would offer him a QB coaching job or something along those lines. I don't want to see him become, "stinking up the joint" level. I think he is smart enough to retire when it is time.

4. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Drew is a competitor, so you know he's going to want to stick it out until the end. At the same time, he's very much a team player, and I like to think that he would be willing to go with whatever is best for the team.

5. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

If he brings us a superbowl win...he can stay until he dies.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

MC i agree that Brees will still be good enough to play quarterback well when he is in his upper thirties and maybe even 40's. I just don't want New Orleans to pull a Green Bay one day and decide to Favre him. Now granted that is way in the future.

7. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

I hope he pulls a Deuce (not drops a deuce) and plays out the remainder of his career with the Saints, and when the time has come where he can't compete at the level he now demands of himself that he will retire with dignity and class instead of going to be a semi washed up free agent with a desperate team because he needs the paycheck like so many other former great players.

It would have absolutely killed me to see Deuce in any other uniform. Brees has to bring me a Superbowl or at least another year or 2 of this level of play to be up there with Deuce as an all time Saint.

8. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Deuce was released by the Saints and I don't think he ever retired. I'm sure he's getting his knee healthy and is probably hoping to sign on with another team during the offseason.

9. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I would like to see the Saints sign Deuce to a 1 game deal (for the Superbowl) and give that man a ring.

Seriously. I'm not joking.

A buddy of mine mentioned that to me and it sounded like a great idea.

10. Darth

Darth Dark Lord of the SEC

I can easily agree with that. The Deuce definitely deserves it!